The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 6, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Mjbechtold

Black Powder Revolver?

My Uncle has a revolver that he loads with black power it shoots the large Rounds But i was wondering were you can find these revolvers I am very Intrested in these I dont think I have shot a revolver with that much punch do that have a certian name? Are they hard to find and what would be a nice one to own and shoot every now and then, Sorry about my ignorance on these guns not a big revolver guy so just learning about them
Thanks for you input
Old February 6, 2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, Your best bet would be to visit your local library and ask where the firearms section is. Then start educating yourself..The information will have a tendency to stick rather than someone merely telling you bits and pieces.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:57 AM   #3
arcticap

You can learn about the names of models just by looking at some of the catalog product pages found online.

Cabela's sells many including the Colt Walker revolver which has the largest powder capacity:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...3Bcat104701680

Dixie Gun Works also sells many revolvers including the 1st, 2nd & 3rd model Colt Dragoons which have the 2nd largest powder capacities:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default...18443eefa01822

The LeMat revolver with it's single shot 20 ga. underbarrel is another larger one but it's much less common and very expensive.

Last edited by arcticap; February 6, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:11 PM   #4
joe sixgun

Just stick around here, read the posts, and gleen as much knowledge as possible. BP revolvers are readily available and reasonably inexpensive compared to modern design cartridge arms. Also check out The High Road website. You will see alot of the same members there but some different topics. Good Luck now that you have been bitten by the bug.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
mykeal

The largest and most powerful black powder revolver is the Colt Walker. It's .44 caliber, like many black powder revolvers, but it is capable of loading the same charge as a long rifle.

There are basically two different styles of black powder replica revolvers: the open top Colts which come in .44, .36 and .31 calibers:
Colt Walker - large frame .44
1st, 2nd, 3rd Model Colt Dragoons - large frame .44
1860 Army - medium frame .44
1861 Navy - medium frame .36
1851 Navy - medium frame .36, also made in .44
1862 Pocket Police and Pocket Navy - small frame .36
1849 Pocket or Baby Dragoon - small frame .31

and the closed frame or top strap Remington/Starr/Rodgers & Spencer in .44 and .36:
1858 Remington - .44 New Army and .36 New Navy medium frames
Starr - .44 Single Action and Double Action medium frame
Rodgers & Spencer - .44 medium large frame

There are also a number of specialty designs like the Confederate LeMat which included a 20 gauge smoothbore barrel and the Leech and Ridgon, Spiller and Burr, etc.

The most popular starting models are the Colt 1851 Navy or 1860 Army and the 1858 Remington New Army.

Good Luck.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Mjbechtold

Hey thanks for all the info i will keep up on these forms, seems like i can learn alot from these froms, I will Keep posted on what i find and like!
Thanks for all the info it will be a big help in getting my first Black Powder revolver
I will Keep you posted on what I look at and Will be back for more advice before i make that Purchase
Old February 7, 2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

BTW....

Welcome to the forum.