The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2014, 05:16 PM   #1
under_dawg

COL FOR LEE round nose tumble lube(TL452-230-2R)

Does anyone load this Lee TL452-230-2r (230 gr round nose tumble lube design)? I had a mold given to me and had cast up a couple of hundred. When I set the col to where my 1911 barrel likes, it seems too deep in the case. In other words the last band of the tumble lube ridges is slightly below the case mouth. The other bullets I load seem to have just a bit of the shoulder above the case mouth which I assume helps in smoother feeding. I took the 1911 barrel out, and dropped the bullet in it until it was flush, that gave me a col of ~1.252. Any advice from someone who uses these bullets would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 1, 2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Ifishsum

I seat mine at 1.270-1.275 COL and the top band is pretty much flush with the case mouth (varies a little by case brand). Works for both of the 1911s I shoot, but it wouldn't bother me to seat a touch deeper if I had to for smooth feeding and chambering.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:09 PM   #3
DavidAGO

I seat mine to 1.255, that chambers in all my 1911's and functions great. if I did not have one oddball 1911 I could and would seat to 1.270. that length will function just fine in my two favorite 1911's

David
Old February 2, 2014, 06:10 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

Well with mine the top ring on the bullets are right about even with the edge of the case lip. I really don't measure them I seat them until the drop in flush and go with it. You might try loading up say 5 dummy rounds less powder and primers and run them through from your mag by hand to see how they do.

I also load SWC's the same way, seated until they sit in there flush and usually they have about a fingernails worth of the first driving band sticking out.
Old February 3, 2014, 06:36 AM   #5
under_dawg

Thanks for thie info guys. I'm going to load a few up and test them out.
Old February 3, 2014, 01:44 PM   #6
oldpapps

My general rules are:

It's got to fit in the magazine.
Don't want the bullet to get into the rifling.
I want no less than 3/4 of the bullet diameter in the case, One full bullet diameter is much better.
No bullet set-back when chambering or bullet pulling when removing from the chamber.
Always do a 'plunk' test and test samples for function. It's got to feed.

Test and adjust as needed. Have a good time doing this, that's the point.

Load with care,

OSOK
Old February 3, 2014, 01:45 PM   #7
maillemaker

Word of warning on those bullets. The shoulder on them combined with the thickness of the brass case makes a very harsh step that can cause failures to extract when the rim of the extracted case hits it.

http://www.forth-armoury.com/temp/bu...lems/sizes.htm
http://www.forth-armoury.com/temp/bu...s/problems.htm

I switched to Lee Truncated Cone tumble lube bullet as they have no shoulders. The only step is the brass mouth itself.

Steve
Old February 3, 2014, 02:32 PM   #8
under_dawg

I have the Lee Truncated 230 gr tumble lube mold as well. They are very reliable so far. I was given both the truncated and the round nose molds at the same time. They both cast very good (and FAST), that's why I was hoping these round nose bullets would be as reliable as the truncated nose. I bought a NOE mold a while back that is 230gr hp design. You can also change the pins out for a solid around ~250gr. It makes nice bullets, but it's slow, I spend more time fiddling with getting the bullets to drop than actually dropping them! I need to use it more and get it broken in. The bullets I think were intended for 45 colt, but they shoot flawlessly in my 1911's and Ruger SR-45.