The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Bootstrap

Mec 600 jr

I've recently started reloading and I'm having a little trouble with the crimp on my shells. I'm using a mec 600 jr. Recipe is remington gun clubs, 19.5 gr green dot, 1 1/8 oz #8, fig 8 wads. I have attached a picture of the crimp. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0128.JPG (166.2 KB, 102 views)
Old July 12, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Shotshells come with either six fold or eight fold crimps. You have to change the crimp starter die to match the original fold count on your hulls. Looks to me from the creases and indentations that you are using an eight fold crimp starter on a six fold shell. It's easy to tell. Just look up into the die and count the number of fold ridges.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 12, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
wild willy

Looks like you need to back your crimp off a little both the crimp start and the final crimp.Dosen't hurt to have a small hole in the middle of the crimp
Old July 12, 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
BigJimP

I think you need to back off on the crimp depth too...( but I don't want a hole in the middle of my shells either).

Go to the MEC website ...and download a manual for your press...it tells you / and gives you some photos ...on how to adjust for a good crimp.
Old July 12, 2012, 06:57 PM   #5
oneounceload

Sorry, but to me, it looks like he has the 6 point crimp installed instead of the 8 point which the STS uses

Crimp depth looks fine; ideally about a nickel thickness is the "ideal" thickness according to many. As long as you do not have a hole in the middle and you get the right precrimp installed, you should be good to go

Last edited by oneounceload; July 12, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Bootstrap

Looks like you guys were right, the crimp starter is a 6 pt and my gun clubs are 8 pt crimps. I'll look into buying the 8 pt crimper. In the meantime, is it ok to shoot the shells I've already loaded? Will the odd crimp alter the pattern at all? Thanks again for the help!
Old July 13, 2012, 07:49 AM   #7
oneounceload

Shoot them up and reload them, again - this time with the right crimp starter - Gnader, Cabela's and stores like that all carry MEC parts - even one of my wally worlds does
Old July 13, 2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. Shoot them. The worst thing that can happen is they will be worn out a little prematurely from overworking the plastic.

Unless I missed something, that photo was of a 6 fold shell that looks like an 8 fold starter was used on it, so I'm assuming the 8 is what you have and what you need is the 6.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
BigJimP

Yes, I'd shoot them ....and then work on my crimp settings the next time thru...
Old July 13, 2012, 09:09 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Blast them and reload them again; the GunClub hull isn't the high dollar STS or Nitro 27 or the old favorite RXP hull anyway. I've had the same trouble before WITH the 8 point starter installed. As long as the crimp is tight and no hole in the middle they're OK.
Old July 14, 2012, 08:25 PM   #11
birdshot

Hull conditioner

There is a dodad that fits in your drill, that conditions the hull, removing the old crimp. Midway has them, I believe they call it a hull conditioner.
Old July 15, 2012, 04:13 PM   #12
oneounceload

NICK - if you look at his crimp you can see he made six point crimps - except Gun Clubs are all 8 crimps - it's the opposite - I did what you were saying when I tried to reload some Kemens which ARE 6 point and I had my 8 point on the press - they don't look like his

simple to fix, pull off the wrong one and snap on the right one

Crowbeaner - the GC's are the same hull as the STS when it comes to longevity
Old July 16, 2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

I guess my eye was seeing it backward: the 6 fold crimp with creases and spacing from an 8 fold starter, as opposed to those same creases as artifacts of a previous 8 fold crimp to which a 6 fold start was applied successfully. Glad your experience sorted it out. I don't recall ever using those shells.