The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Crosshair

Post 73 Ithaca 37 adapted to pumpfire?

A question here for you people who know the Ithaca 37. I put this here instead of the NFA form since this gun isn't NFA yet.

I know the Pre-73 models are disconnectorless and can pumpfire, I may be wrong on the cutoff date though. I own two such guns. An 18" 4+1 shot Police Special and the rare 20" 7+1 shot model. Both are a blast to pumpfire and with a little practice can be quite effective against multiple targets.

The "problem" I have is that I want to SBS an Ithaca 37, but of the above two, the first is in too good condition and the second is too rare to shorten into an SBS. I found another that I THOUGHT could be pumpfired because the hammer will drop when the gun was cycled empty with the trigger held back. (I didn't have the serial number list with me.) However, when I took it out to the range I found that it would not fire when the trigger was held back. The hammer would drop, but the gun did not fire. I had to release the trigger and cycle the gun again to fire another shot.

The serial number is 3714593XX which, if my sources are right, puts it as 1975 production, past the supposed 1973 cutoff for the disconnectorless design.

My questions:

1. Is 1973 the correct cutoff date for the conversion to a design with a disconnector?
2. Is this gun operating properly and not firing even though the hammer is dropped or is it malfunctioning?
3. Can this gun be SAFELY made to pumpfire or should I just sell it and find a Pre-73 model that can.

Thank you for your help.
Old January 23, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2
jrothWA

HI, my information is that the ..

"disconnectorless" M37 were prior to 1934.
Anything recent is either a NFA firearm to a LEO organization OR
you have broken parts inside the trigger guard.

The third M37 you don't have to complete cycle the action, release the trigger, thumb the action release lever and short cycle to just open then close, then hit the trigger.

Get a disassembly procedure and look at the trigger.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:19 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Model 37's do not have disconnectors at least mine don't. I have a 1949, 1951 and a1975.

The 49 & 51 have a second sear on the hammer (right side) that sticks out and engages the slide release. IF the trigger is held back that that sear comes into play and release's when the bolt slide's into battery.

The 1975 hammer does not have the sear (small tit on right side) on the hammer. If the trigger is held back the hammer just follows the bolt as it goes into battery.

What you need to do is find a early hammer that has that sear on the hammer and install it on your later gun(1975).

Take the earlier gun down for cleaning, use proper screw drivers, when the trigger group is removed you can see how the second sear works.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; January 24, 2011 at 07:53 PM.