The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 11, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
parrothead2581

Remington Customer Service

Yesterday I contacted Remington to order a new coupling and magazine extension tube for my 870. I figured they wouldn't send the tube but I thought I would ask. Both were scratched during the initial takedown. They were screwed on so tightly I had to use a wrench wrapped with a cloth to get them separated. That didn't help much. The rep said they may be able to send me the parts for free since it was still under warranty but she needed the serial number. I told her I would call back tomorrow.

I called back this morning and the lady said she could get the coupling but the system wouldn't let her get the extension tube, that is was LE only. She then suggested I send it to the factory under warranty repair. She didn't offer to send the parts or offer to even sell them to me.

I called back latert in the afternoon in hopes of getting someone else and hearing what they had to say. He said they could get the extension tube but not the coupling. The coupling is listed in the parts catalog, #99833, $13.50. The extension tube is not listed that I can see.

I can purchase a new coupling from Numrich Gun Parts, but it will cost around $22 with the S&H. I'm tempted to call back tomorrow and try one more time and specifically request that they send the coupling. I'm not wanting to pay for S&H and insurance to send it off to have a new coupling put on, or for them to refinish the current one.

I'm not classifying this as a "bad experience", but has anyone had anything similar to this happen to them with Remington? Are my requests excessive? What could I do different? I will definitely mention that the coupling is in the 2006 parts list, along with the number and price if they say it's not offered.

Thanks
Old July 11, 2006, 09:36 PM   #2
BUCKMARK

Based on my many past dealings with Remington Arms...I would say you did darn good just getting a live person on the telephone.

Let's Roll!
Old July 12, 2006, 04:49 PM   #3
parrothead2581

After calling yet again, and giving the rep the part number and price he placed the order and it should arrive around the middle of next week.
Old July 12, 2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Ruger4570

I never had a problem with Remington service from MY standpoint, I am sure others have. I think it is like all companies, you gotta get to the right person to get what you want. Just because they answer the phone doesn't mean they know Doo Doo about ALL the services and products. Glad to hear you worked it out, persistance often pays off.
Old July 12, 2006, 05:17 PM   #5
parrothead2581

Rather than start another thread, I'll post his question here.

I called my preferred dealer this afternoon to get a price on a Remington 870P with synthetic stock, 18" barrel and ghost ring sights. He said Remington was changing price daily, and unless I planned on ordering it today, the price would likely change from his quote. He also said it looks as if Remington is going to go bankrupt. Has anyone heard this?
Old July 12, 2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Ruger4570

I would think once an order is placed with Remington they would honor the price. Yes I have heard the rumors, I wonder where they start, it certainly is not from the horses mouth. If they fold, well we can add it to Winchester's demise and wonder why they folded up. Bad management?, not enough sales to continue? and on and on. Or maybe just chalk it up to rumors based on absolutly NO facts at this time, just someone wanting to shoot their mouth off. I suspect the latter..Do you think your gunsmith is just opening the door to charging you more than he quoted and pick up a few bucks more from you??????