The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2002, 10:41 PM   #1
Liberty Ship

Mossberg 500M MILS

A couple of years ago I bought a new Mossberg. First Mossberg I ever bought. I just saw it in a store and was so impressed I bought it. All I knew was it was a 500 and I had heard that these were versatile guns and I looked forward to buying extra barrels, etc.

Turns out it was a Model 500M MILS. The only way I can describe this shotgun is a 500 on steroids. The barrel is not interchangable with other 500's because it is more like an 835 and it is extra heavy -- much thicker steel than a 500. It's a cool gun. Parkerized. As far as I can tell, any parts which were plastic or light metal on the 500 have been replaced with steel in this one. I saw one advertised once as a "military overrun." Mossberg told me it was a special military contract.

Can anyone tell me more about it? Can you plug the magazine for hunting? The capacity is 5+1 if you are using 2 3/4" shells. Are any alternative barrels, etc., available?
Old August 21, 2002, 07:08 AM   #2
CAH
Retired Screen Name

I have one as well. It is now sold as a Mossberg 590A1. The 500MILS was developed in the late seventies for the military, and was still sold to the gov't until around 1995 or so, when the 590 series came out. Mine has been great, as have the other three Mossberg shotguns I've owned.

You can plug the mag tube with no problems.

I put Ashley sights on mine, and had it Vang Comped.

www.aosights.com

www.vangcomp.com

Regards,
Clay
Old August 21, 2002, 07:49 AM   #3
Liberty Ship

Thanks for the background, Clay. When I describe this gun to most people, they look at me like I'm crazy! It's a solid piece of work; I've thought about Vang Comp for it...
Old August 22, 2002, 12:40 AM   #4
DML

For a while they were also called 500USA. There was a short run that had serial numbers that began with USA. IE: USA1234

They were never really a 500 since they always had the 590 open ended magazine tube.