The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 10, 2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Single Action Army

Help With Some Guns

FIRST POST-I'm really wanting a single action revolver but I don't have a whole lotta money to buy a usfa or a colt.I like rugers but my dads got one and I don't want to get the same thing so I found Uberti and i really like the looks of there revolvers.So I've been lookin around and found a guy sellin one for $250 it's a Taylor and Co .45lc with 5 1/2 inch barrel and brass backstrap and trigger guard (is this a good deal and is this a rugged reliable gun that looks nice as well) and another one is a new stainless steel Uberti El Patron in 45lc with a 4 3/4 inch barrel for $600 and that's bout as much money as I can spend ( I want to know the same questions that I asked on the other one) and i would also enjoy any other guns that I don't know about and I'd like your opinion good or bad
Thanks Single Action Army!
Old June 10, 2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Dwight55

If you want to be a bit different, . . . but stay in the .45LC caliber, . . . look at a Beretta Stampede.

It is not as strong as a Ruger (really, . . . not much out there is) but is a really beautiful gun with rich bluing and color case hardened parts.

Mine shoots very well, is totally reliable, has a transfer bar firing arrangement, and is a joy to shoot.

They can be had in the $500 range, maybe $600 or less for a brand new one.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old June 10, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
craZivn

I would get the same thing as your dad. Put on some aftermarket grips if you want it to look a little different, but I'd say your father is wise in the ways of fine service weapons.

Ivan
Old June 10, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Single Action Army

Thanks Dwight55 but I don't see the stampede in berettas catalog do they not make it any more?

craZivn I thought about doing that but everyone around here were I live has one and I was wantin to be a bit different you know
Old June 10, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
gak

All the Ubertis (and Piettas, their chief Italian rival) are pretty good these days. I prefer the polished blue/color case harndened (frame) ones as beig pretty true to the Colts, or nickel or stainless--versus the brass backstap ones but they're all good. Pietta markets theirs (at least) through EMF as Great Western II's. www.EMF-company.com. AFAIK, Cimarron also uses Pietta for some guns now. Don't know about Taylors.

As you may know, "operating procedure" for the SAA and most clones is different from the "New Model" Rugers (ie, any Ruger SA produced 1973 forward). The latter has a "transfer bar" to protect against unintended/accidental discharge - as in if dropped. The SAA's do not, and therefore "must" (as personal policy) be loaded with just five rounds to avoid a live round under a resting hammer...via loading one, skipping one, and loading the rest is the common technique.

I say "most" clones. Beretta, which owns Uberti, has the Stampede line which also incorporates a trannsfer bar. The Brazilian-made Taurus Gaucho--I think now defunct--also hs the bar.

As suggested above, Uberti is marketed through Cimarron www.cimarron-firearms.com and Taylor's www.taylorsfirearms.com as well as by Uberti www.uberti.com directly, among others.

Edit: The Taylor's brass backstrap is a decent enough deal at $250, but not stellar IMO, if combined with the flat/matte charcoal finish versus polished blue with color case hardened (CCH) frame. But that opinion mostly just reflects my preference.

Edit - note EMF website, above. Did not seem to be operating the other day. I see it is back up. EMF also used to market Ubertis similar to Taylor's Cattleman and Cimarron's Model P polished blue/CCH - as their "Hartford" line.

Last edited by gak; June 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old June 10, 2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Single Action Army

Thanks Gak and I know about the transfer bar and stuff and the Taylor and Co revolver isn't the matte one it has a case hardened frame
Old June 10, 2013, 10:41 AM   #7
gak

That sounds nice! I just don't care for the matte finihed guns sold often through the big box stores, often leaving new buyers the impression that's all Ubertis were! Welcome by the way, and pics required when you get your gun!
Old June 10, 2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Single Action Army

Yea I think that matte finish is ugly and yea ill post pics if I get it
Old June 10, 2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Garycw

Help With Some Guns

I like the Ruger security / single six , but for $250 that sounds like a good deal.

I like the idea of the different grips than your dads the best though.
The model 10 SW are a good choice too if SA/DA is ok. $279 at buds. Round or square butt
Old June 10, 2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Single Action Army

I was wanting an exact replica of the 1873 sorry but I don't want to buy anything from buds one of my good friends ordered a gun and got the wrong one and they wouldn't do anything about it
Old June 10, 2013, 12:45 PM   #11
PetahW

IMHO, $250 for the Taylor/Uberti is a screaming good deal - I'd think you remiss, if you didn't jump on it like stink on a skunk. .

Old June 10, 2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Bob Wright

This is my Cimarron Model P in .44 Special. It is a very close copy of the Colt Single Action.

Like the Colt, it lacks the transfer bar safety. If you're not familiar with the "empty chamber under the hammer routine", or are not willing to learn, avoid this gun. I'll catch flak for this, but its right up there with Colt when you compare targets.

Bob Wright
Old June 10, 2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Single Action Army

Bob I know of the transfer bar thing and the load one skip one my dad as a 2nd gen colt...thanks guys I really appreciate the help and I've decided to get it...I'll post pics of it when I get it
Thanks!

Tags
.45lc , el patron , taylor , uberti