The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 25, 2012, 01:35 PM   #26
solocam72

I actually use a long and short in each base, it doesn't matter in the rear they won't protrude through, in the front muzzle end of the front base you can use a long one but not the rear of the front base, that one will protrude through and the bolt locking lug will hit it when you try and close the bolt. Coyota1, there's nothing for it to score on? If the bolts protruded through then yes, but they don't in the rear regardless of screw size, I don't think there's any difference between long action and short with the mount holes? I don't own a short action 700, all long
Old January 3, 2013, 07:30 AM   #27
Herbert1517

Same issue with a new 700 BDL 30-06

In case anybody else digs up this thread; I am having the same issue with a brand new, never fired, Remington 700 BDL 30-06. When attempting to load new factory (Rem.) ammo the bolt will not close without a significant amount of force. The problem exists whether loading a single into the chamber or from the magazine. Also, 4 or 5 out of the 20 rounds I tried to cycle would not eject- they were never drawn back out of battery. Upon inspection, the bolt has some odd wear (for being brand new??) and noticeable pieces of brass. As I said; brand new rifle so I'll be calling Remy as soon as they open.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:52 AM   #28
7mmsavage

I just stumbled on this and thought I'd chime in. A friend of mine recently had the same problem with a new in box 700 SPS in .300 wsm. He took it back to the gun shop where he bought it befroe he ever tried to fire it. They checked it out and ended up telling him the headspace had been set too tight, and replaced the rifle at no cost to him.