The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 28, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1
mdd

recommend a holster & belt combo for g36

I daily carry a ruger LCP iwb. Summer is approaching & i'm happy with this combo when most everyone is in t-shirts. However I've often questioned the little 380's effectiveness during colder months. Not sure it has enough steam to pass through multiple layers of heavy clothing and retain much stopping power. Obviously more clothes make it easy to carry larger firearms so i'd like to find a quality setup for toting my glock 36 in the winter. I know quality items will provide many years of dependable service so price is not a concern if the items allow me to comfortably carry this firearm. Any input is appreciated.
Old March 28, 2010, 03:18 PM   #2
rsxr22

i am a huge fan of crossbreed supertuck and the comp-tac mtac. Both companies make extremely good belts as well, but i prefer just using the 5.11's

If you want a leather holster, i cannot say enough good things about the galco royal guard and summer comfort holsters
Old March 28, 2010, 04:27 PM   #3
madmag

My normal daily carry is a G36.

I have what might be a surprise. I have various leather holsters for other pistols I CCW, but I find that my Blackhawk nylon holster works great for my G36. I have compared to a Desantis leather holster I have for the G36 and I find the cheap Blackhawk works as well or better. Even in just cool weather I wear a light vest and the Blackhawk holster and the G36 conceals very well.

For summer and just tee shirt I do use a fanny pack for my G36. But I am older and look normal using a fanny pack.

Added: I forgot the belt. I stopped buying expensive gun belts. I just get a good thick leather belt at Wal-Mart etc. and I find it works just great. Again, expensive does not always mean the best option.

Last edited by madmag; March 28, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old March 28, 2010, 04:47 PM   #4
madmag

G36

G36 with Blackhawk holster.

Also with Pachmyar grip and Pearce Plus zero mag. extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G36.jpg (180.0 KB, 37 views)
Old March 29, 2010, 12:59 PM   #5
The Great Mahoo

I carry my Glock 36 in a K&D Dakota Defender. One of my favorite holsters, its an IWB tuckable with kydex clips (i've but C-clips on mine.) I am extremely pleased with this holster and would highly reccomend them. The Dakota isn't advertised any more, but Kevin, who cruises these boards, has stated they can still make them. The new Thunderbird works as an IWB or OWB holster, though, so it may be a better option anyway.

http://www.kdholsters.com/iwb-owb-defend.php

For OWB carry, I use a simple JIT Slide from Don Hume. For ~$25, you can't go wrong with a minimal holster that carries close and has solid form-fit retention.
Old March 29, 2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I second the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Their belt is excellent too. Customer service is top-notch.
Old March 29, 2010, 01:48 PM   #7
madmag

Quote:
I carry my Glock 36 in a K&D Dakota Defender.
Thanks for the K&D link. Looks good, I will put them on my list.

I have several good pistols/setups for CCW, but lately all I carry is my G36. It seems to fit all my needs. That could change when I get the money to buy yet another pistol.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:03 PM   #8
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmag
Thanks for the K&D link. Looks good, I will put them on my list.

I have several good pistols/setups for CCW, but lately all I carry is my G36. It seems to fit all my needs. That could change when I get the money to buy yet another pistol.
Always happy to share, especially since I am so pleased with these items. My Glock 36 was my primary carry gun for a few years, but has since been replaced by my Ruger sp101 since picking it up last October or so. I guess I just prefer revolvers more for carry, but the 36 still gets out on ocassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmag
Added: I forgot the belt. I stopped buying expensive gun belts. I just get a good thick leather belt at Wal-Mart etc. and I find it works just great. Again, expensive does not always mean the best option.
I can't fully agree here. I picked up a few belts from Tractor Supply a while back, some thick work-grade belts. They work great for IWB, and can hand most OWB duties for me, but they don't hold as well as a true gun-belt. I have a belt from K&D That I prefer to use when carrying OWB, and it certainly makes the gun stay much closer and keep from falling aside, especially with my Glock 36 in the JIT Slide, which rides pretty high.

For IWB carry, though, I'd think any decent belt should work well without having to custom order one.