The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
radioflyer

Need Help choosing a .45 (Sig 227 vs HK45)

Just went to the NRA meeting in Houston yesterday. By far the best "gun show" I've ever been to ever, but now I'm faced with a difficult decision. I got out of the .45 game about 2 years ago because of financial reasons and the cost of shooting vs. the 9mm. (dumb idea I realize now) I'm looking to get back into that game.

I used to own an HK45 and really loved it. I regret selling it and would really like a new one. Then at the NRA Show, I found that Sig is scheduled to release the All-New P227 which is pretty much a P226 (new model with the ergo enhancements of the E2 series) in .45

I currently own a P226 and love it. It's the most accurate pistol I have an soaks up recoil like a sponge. The problem I'm facing is that both the HK and Sig have similar features:

- 10 round capacity
- excellent recoil control
- great ergonomics
- Both are built like tanks
- Similar price point

I will have until the end of the year to decide since that's when the p227s should be released.

What are your thoughts?
Old May 6, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
SmokinSigs357

I am a SIG guy and have over 10 9mm SIG handguns. I also own a H&K P30 and just purchased a H&K 45 a few days ago.

I LOVE the H&K 45, but I have to honestly say that if you are loving the SIG platform, that the SIG trigger is going to be better.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
PITT5150

I second the Sig for it's trigger.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Man that is an easy one. I will be the 3rd to say Sig.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:01 PM   #5
ScotchMan

Wearing my HK45 as I type, but I have to say you did choose the top two choices. The Sig will have the better trigger. The HK gives you the option of cocked and locked as well. I think the grip on the HK is probably better too.

You really can't go wrong with either of those two though.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 6, 2013, 11:34 PM   #6
BarryLee

I own a SIG P220 as well as an HK USP40 and also agree both brands are great choices. I personally don’t think you can go wrong with either, but a couple of considerations.

The SIG will probably be heavier than the HK by a little bit which might make a difference for carry. The P227 will most likely be a great gun, but sometimes there are issues with new models. Finally, the HK 45 is in stores now while the P227 may be difficult to track down even after the year end release.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 7, 2013, 02:06 AM   #7
LockedBreech

Isn't the P227 a new design?

I'm actually very interested in the P227, but I don't ever think being the beta tester for a new design is a good idea. the HK45 is the more proven design. I prefer Sig Sauer to HK, but if I was standing at the counter with cash today I'd be buying the HK.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:43 AM   #8
Hammerhead

I shot the HK45 a little better than my Sigs despite the Sigs having better triggers.
The USP 45 and the HK45 were the two of the most accurate centerfire autos I've owned. I'm hoping to get the HK45C this year.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:18 AM   #9
thedudeabides

When faced with the choice of tupperware vs metal, buy the metal gun.

I have a P220 and HK45. The 45 has a long spongy trigger and came with crappy glow in the dark sights and cost about 1050. The 220 came with Siglite H3 sights, SRT, cost less than 900, and sends rounds dead on downrange like a 1911. The 45 sprays bullets everywhere. I'm guessing it's the long pull on the SA trigger. I put a set of Hogue G10s on the P220 and made it even better. The 45 has weird lumpy grips that just aren't comfortable and I guess are made for people with weird-shaped hands.

Also, the P220 costs 200-300 bucks less than an HK45... I'm guessing once the P227 has been out a while it will too.

I think of the P220 as equal to a Commander length 1911 (it's about the same size) and the HK45 as a giant Glock.

Last edited by thedudeabides; May 7, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:41 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

P227R...

I'd wait a bit to see if the new P227/P227R series has any major problems. It shouldn't but like Ruger's SR line, re-calls/problems can happen.
The HK45 & HK45 compact(LEM) are both well engineered & proven.
It's a tough call but like I said, I'd hold off a few months to see if SIG Sauer modifys or has issues with the P227 .45acp.

ClydeFrog
Old May 7, 2013, 11:20 AM   #11
ScotchMan

Regarding the triggers, the double action trigger is where Sigs really outdo HKs. The single action trigger on the HK is actually not bad at all.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the "newness" of the P227. It is not a new design, it's a new magazine and grip with the same P226 you know and love. But I could be wrong.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 7, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
the 45 sprays bullets everywhere.
Man, I have a 45c and while a SIG def has a better trigger, I'm able to group pretty damn well with it, even in DA. In terms of mechanical accuracy I think they both have it.

The P227 might be a great gun, but from what I've heard you really won't start seeing them until next year.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #13
TunnelRat

My biggest gripe with the HK45 is the price of mags, usually I see them for $60 when I even see them or find them online.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 7, 2013, 03:01 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

Heckler & Koch

All HK magazines from the pistols to the rifles(416) seem to be hard to find.
The "customer service" office in AL doesn't seemed geared to the general public either .

HK used to send out product catalogs & answer questions upon request, not anymore. I know they seem to gear all the resources towards LE & military sales.

CF
Old May 7, 2013, 05:10 PM   #15
BigJerm79

"...and the HK45 as a giant Glock."

LOL...good one!

Any who, I've shot the P220 quite a bit and LOVE it. I recently had some range time with my buddy's USP and it is everything I hoped it would be. The controls & grip were right on for me (hands are large, but a NORMAL shape). I love 'em both. Someday, I will own both. I will agree with the general opinions about the Sig's trigger. However, the USP's trigger isn't "bad" at all. I'll second the "you really can't go wrong either way" thing. I realize this doesn't help you make any sort of decision, but just to say that buyers remorse will NOT be an issue not matter which you choose.

J
Old May 7, 2013, 11:33 PM   #16

Wait for the Sig
Old May 8, 2013, 11:45 PM   #17
mxsailor803

I'm a big SIG fan.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:27 AM   #18
hlds54

sig sig sig sig.