The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 26, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Jazzninja

Ruger 10/22 question

I recently bought a stainless Ruger 10/22 and have probably put about 300 rounds through it. As I was cleaning it last night, I noticed that the finish on parts of the receiver (mostly on the inside) was starting to flake/peel off. I noticed little flakes of whatever it is that the receiver is coated in, floating around inside the action. My question is: is this normal break in/wear and tear or should I be concerned? Thanks.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:08 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Mine has no flaking, but i have read it was somewhat common. There was a thread on the issue not too long ago.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Pahoo

This question or concern, has been raised before and if you will do a search, you will see some comments.
Basically, on the new 10/22's, Ruger has gone to a powder coating system on both the black and silver models. This powder coat will eventually wear off and will first be seen inside the top of the reciever. Eventually it will crawl out to the outside although I have not see this yet. You should also note that the trigger group housing is synthetic "Plastic" as oppose to the older Aluminum alloy. For this reason, I prefer the older models. If you have a Carbine, you will notice that the barrel band, is also plastic.
Quote:
should I be concerned?
I personally do not think so other than creating dirt. The problems you will see, are mostly cosmetic. At some point you can do a Ceramacoat job on this reciever. IMHO, we are paying more for the newer 10/22's and getting reduced quality. I love these little guys and appreciate my older ones even more.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 26, 2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Spelin
Old May 29, 2009, 10:55 PM   #4
B-Maxx

Mine started doing this as well after only one time at the range. The flaking progressed for the next 3 or 4 trips to the range then quit. It is very rare that I see flakes anymore. The inside of the receiver should be polished due to the wear caused by the bolt cycling, hence the flaking. My wear is limited the the forward area of the inside of receiver and then just a small strip going back.