The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
more forty fives

cast bullets

I have a question. I just found 2000 bullets my uncle cast at least 40 years ago. I remember him talking the kid into sizing them for him. me. well to the point. the lube is dry on them. so can i resize them from .452to .451 then relube? so i don't have to clean them off one at a time. one more thing they weigh 193 grains. that would get them closer to 190 there are loads for 190 nothing for 193 if 3 grains would make differnce?
Old April 7, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Sport45

Welcome to The Firing Line!

I wouldn't resize them since .452 is just right. I'd just relube with some liquid alox and then load and shoot 'em.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
longranger

Resizing and relubing should not pose any significant problems.Stay in the slower half of the reloading data,see how they shoot.
BTW Lee makes a liquid Alox lube that works well, kinda messy to get them lubed.If you are using Lyman,RCBS or Saeco lubrisizer it should relube when being resized.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
more forty fives

cast bullets

thanks folks! this is the first forum for me.very helpful.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
crowbeaner

You CAN run them back through a .452 sizer to "freshen up" the lube. I'd use a good quality 50/50 soft lube myself so any voids in the lube grooves fills in. You could probably shoot them as is; I'd load 10 or so and see if they lead at all with moderate loads first before putting the crank handle in gear.