The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Throw some names and specs my way!!

I have 4 guns, and 4 calibres. I plan to reload two of them as they are the most expensive to buy and I am seriously considering those as my IPSC choice. Those two are .38 and .44.

At the moment, I have only found one place that stocks reloading equipment, and only a couple of shops that stock reloading parts. They only seem to stock stuff for rifles as hunters tend to be the biggest market for handloading... For example, I've only really seen Lapua, Sierra, Barnes and Nosler bullets and Lapua or Remington brass.

Finding the bits to make up my .38Spl and .44Mag/Spl is proving hard. No point buying any presses or dies if I can't find the bullets and brass!!

What I need from you:

Can you give me the names of any big brands that should make these sizes, so I can ask around to see if they can order them in especially., Especially the brass.

Can you give me any alternative names that .38Spl or .44 may go under.
For example, the Lapua stockist has bullets in for 9mm and .429. A quick google showed that .429 is the .44 calibre, and .38 is 9.07mm, not 9mm.

So, are 9mm bullets compatible with .38/.357, or are those missing .07mm going to make a 9mm from a .38 snub inaccurate?

If worst comes to worst, I can just buy a load of rounds and just keep the empty cartridges...

Thanks!!
Old March 15, 2012, 09:01 AM   #2
dmazur

I'll stick with inches because we haven't "gotten with the program" on this side of the Atlantic...

The difference between .38 Special bullet diameter (.357) and 9mm bullet diameter (0.354) is 0.003", and I believe that is quite a bit.

You probably won't have proper tension to retain the bullet with the bullet being undersized.

9mm bullets aren't going to have a crimp groove, either. The crimp groove in .357 diameter bullets is mainly for .357 Magnum applications (I think) for proper ignition of slow powders...doesn't apply for .38 Special, but you can't cheat and try to use it for bullet retention if it isn't present.

Then there's the accuracy problem that you mentioned.

Also, there's this link

Midwaydeutschland.com

I would recommend buying in bulk. The shipping tends to be cheaper that way. Also, this site shows a lot of the manufacturers which are available in Europe.
Old March 15, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

Nickel plated brass tends to be brittle so you don't get to load it for very long. All brass cases will probably last the longest. If you don't make the bell too large and the crimp isn't excessive the cases will last a long time. I don't buy pistol brass. I just buy factory ammo and reload the brass after shooting it. Not loading hot rounds also is eazier on the brass too.

A long time ago I did try to load a few 9 mm bullets into 38 special cases. I had to use a lot of crimp to hold the bullets. The cases weren't much good after that. They only lasted 2 more loadings before they cracked. Accuracy of those loads was not very good either. You really need bullets of the right diameter.

People in the U.S. tend to take all the different sources we have for reloading components as the normal way it is everywhere. I lived in Europe for a number of years and know that shooting sports items are not cheap or as easy to find as they are here.

Another thought for you is to cast your own bullets. You can melt down wheel weights that have been removed at the local garage where they sell tires. They might give it to you to recycle or sell it for the price they normally would get from a recycler. The lead makes a nice bullet for .38 special and .44 special. Then you would only need powder and primers. There are books and several YouTube videos on the subject.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
bossman

Almost every gunshop or range around here has a message/bulletin board hanging on a wall with all kinds of info pinned on it. Might be worth checking out. Talk and ask about reloading supplys whenever you go to the range or gunshop, a lot of info goes on by word of mouth.

I would think any major bullet company would make the 38 spl/357 mag and a 44 spl/44 mag. The 38 spl standard jacketed bullet is .357 and the standard lead bullet is .358. The lead bullets are slightly larger as they are softer and this helps seal the bullet gases.

I know there's going to be some that will say they load 9mm bullets in the 38 spl all the time. It can be done, but I don't recommend it. To loose a fit and will have no accuracy to speak of. And by all means save beg borrow or steal all that brass.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I lived in Europe for a number of years and know that shooting sports items are not cheap or as easy to find as they are here.
Now that, right there, is a fact!!
one I'm painfully aware of!!

Good tip on the bullet casting!! If I use it for IPSC, I could live with cast bullets. I can buy decent SD loads for carry purposes.

Quote:
And by all means save beg borrow or steal all that brass.
I'm not proud!!!
I can manage that!