The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2011, 12:19 PM   #26
RsqVet

2 things --

1. I agree go with the S+W, sig may or may not have solved all of their 1911 teething issues, I had one that was not the first run of GSR guns I think it was after they all came to be made in house when they first started making mutiple 1911 flavors. It that had multiple issues and I traded it off but it did sell me on the 1911. What is really flipping fear inducing is we have watched sig repeat this all over again with the P238 -- multiple issues, re-fits, etc. Really and truly just how hard is it for Sig to produce a copy of another design.

2. Have you considered just buying the gun without the laser grips and adding them latter if you really like the 1911. I know unless you find them used they will be a little bit more money but you may not like the 1911 or may shoot it well enough you don't want the laser.

Also is this for carry / defense? You said 90% range in your first post, but that your wife might like the laser? For the range or for home defense / carry? If so there are a host of considerations I will not hijack your thread here but look around and consider the pro / con on it before jumping on what is a 150 dollar add on.
Old December 20, 2011, 02:01 PM   #27
moneypit

I have been considering a purchase without the CT grips

This will still primarily be a range gun. Although we both have CC permits, neither one of us carry (not to say we never will). Home defense is a consideration but, not practical for a variety of reasons.

We both enjoy shooting at the range and although she has her own handgun (an XDm9) when we go, we both like shooting a variety of guns and she shoots my Sig P228 and AR15 as frequently as I do. She likes the feel of the SW1911 and I expect she will shoot it regularly.

Thanks to everyones input. I'm pretty much decided on the SW1911SC. It is something I'll have to wait for a couple months to get but, it is the one that I keep going back to.
Old December 20, 2011, 02:39 PM   #28
John Eastwood

You are crazy if you don't buy this gun. S&W 1911CT...as in ''with'' the Crimson Trace grips...all for $859 brand new. I bought mine on Gunbroker as well (1911CT) for $870.

This has got to be the best value going around for a high-end 1911. The grips alone are $250 new. The factory Checkmate mags work great too. No issues with mine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=265348273
Old December 20, 2011, 02:52 PM   #29
attila787

May I highly suggest the CZ 1911 in my opinion for the money they are the best bang for the buck. However, between the two you are looking at I would go with the S&W.
Old December 20, 2011, 03:11 PM   #30
jmr40

Can't comment on the Sig, but the S&W 1911 I own has been by far the best I've ever owned. And I've had a bunch of the mid priced 1911's over the years, Colt, Kimber, SA, etc.

Quote:
Get the E-Series. $850 will buy you one fine 1911 my friend. Mine is a tackdriver. It is the finest mass-production firearm I have ever owned. Period.
Pretty well sums up my experience with S&W 1911's as well
Old December 24, 2011, 12:47 AM   #31
KyJim

Quote:
the buying public had just about completed Sigs C3 beta testing
. Like SW with the M&P or Ruger with the LCR? Etc., etc.

Good idea not to buy a gun when it first comes out from a manufacturer.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:12 AM   #32
bamiller

I have the C3. Pretty, very accurate, and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. A selling point for me was the Commander size barrel with an Officer size grip. In theory a better carry piece choice than 3" and 5" 1911 pistols because the 4" barrel should be more accurate than a 3" and it should be easier to conceal than a 5" because of the shorter Officer grip. That being said the E series is one fine looking machine and I would think would be an excellent choice also because of S&W quality. I personally have had no experience with S&W's customer service but have read that for the most part it is top notch. Honestly I think in this case it boils down to personal preference. Handle and, if possible, shoot both and buy the one that feels best. Or better yet buy both!

Last edited by bamiller; December 25, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old December 24, 2011, 09:27 AM   #33
Mrgunsngear

I've owned Sig and S&W1911s. I only own the S&W now. My e series is completely reliable, has a good trigger, and is the most accurate gun I own. The Sig (Tacops) was not as accurate, trigger was heavier, and wasn't as reliable. A lot of people have had problems with the NH guns in the last few years, not so much from Springfield MA...
Old January 2, 2012, 06:32 PM   #34
moneypit

Even though I've decided on the SW E series, I can't seem to find one locally (southern NH). None of the shops near me have one now and the only shop that said they could order one seriously doubted the last week of January estimated by their supplier (only one of which said it could be ordered).

I am first on a "refusal" list at another shop.

I hate waiting...
Old January 7, 2012, 01:28 PM   #35
moneypit

Happy to report I purchased a SW1911SC through gunbroker and waiting for it to arrive. Thanks to all for your input.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:45 PM   #36
Micahweeks

I've shot the C3 pretty recently and liked it. It was accurate and did not fail. The one I shot was well broken in and has ridden in the patrol bag of a LE friend of mine for the past year or so.

I've also shot an E-Series and had pretty much the same experience. I think I probably put around 200 rounds through it.

I prefer the Sig. The slide shape just feels a little more substantial and is easier to manipulate for my boat paddle hands.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old January 8, 2012, 08:46 AM   #37
Ichiban

Maybe a little late but here goes.

I am a big fan of the S&W 1911s and own an E-series that I am very happy with. I am also a big fan of the bobtail and my EDC is a bobtailed S&W1911PD commander.

But, be aware that the E-series and the SC are two very different guns. The SC is made for CCW while the E-series is more of a range/duty weapon. The SC is commander size and has a scandium frame so there will definitely be more felt recoil. Personally, I prefer the balance of the commander but would not want to put hundreds of rounds though a scandium framed gun in a single range session. YMMV.

I think you are going to be quite happy with the SC, and if you plan on carrying it you will be very, very pleased with it.

P.S. We are going to want pictures once you get it.
Old January 10, 2012, 03:33 PM   #38
dgludwig

Quote:
and wasn't as reliable.
For me, at least, that translates to: Unreliable.

Tags
1911 , 1911 c3 , e-series , sw1911