The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 27, 2007, 03:31 PM   #26
Hook686

Does the term 'city hunters' have the same rules for engagement as 'redneck', the 'N' work, or the 'S' word ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 27, 2007, 08:46 PM   #27
MacGille

Stupid scenario to start with. I wouldn't be out in the swamp without a map, compass and gps. I don't go into the bush without a rifle.And I don't put up with anyone shooting at me. Period. One of us would die. And I doubt if it would be me. Trespassing is not a death penalty crime where I am from.

I am very tolerant of others attitudes, and habits as long they don't impact me. Shooting at me is guaranteed to piss me off. Don't do it if you don't hit with the first bullet.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old May 28, 2007, 10:23 AM   #28
kcshooter

Quote:
Stupid scenario to start with. I wouldn't be out in the swamp without a map, compass and gps. I don't go into the bush without a rifle.And I don't put up with anyone shooting at me. Period. One of us would die. And I doubt if it would be me. Trespassing is not a death penalty crime where I am from.

I am very tolerant of others attitudes, and habits as long they don't impact me. Shooting at me is guaranteed to piss me off. Don't do it if you don't hit with the first bullet.

Great answer.

Enjoy prison.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:14 PM   #29
dawg23

Quote:
Stupid scenario to start with. I wouldn't be out in the swamp without a map, compass and gps. I don't go into the bush without a rifle.And I don't put up with anyone shooting at me. Period. One of us would die. And I doubt if it would be me.
What a Maroon.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:32 PM   #30
WIN71

Quote:
Great answer.
Enjoy prison.
Oh, I don't know, KC. Sounds like a man with not only experience in this sort of thing, but confidence as well........
Quote:
I don't put up with anyone shooting at me. Period. One of us would die. And I doubt if it would be me
I guess I'm just not that good. Hats off to someone that could instantly drop his frog spear, grab a weapon, abandon his kids, engage in a shoot out to the death in a unknown environment with unknown aggressors and do so with the belief that he doubts if he will die. All based on a possible warning shot. That man has got to have way more experience, skill, knowledge, and ability than I have. Once I saw Rambo do it, but I was clear back in row 18. And that even scared me.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:35 PM   #31
kcshooter

Win71,
Good point, he may not go to prison. Just the morgue. At least Bubba won't have his way with you in the morgue. Or if Bubba does, I guess you won't care at that point...

Ya know, I did something like that once too. It was awesome. Dove out of the way of a string of bullets while taking out three BG's with one magazine. It was so cool that I saved my game! Xbox is sooo realistic!
Old May 28, 2007, 03:49 PM   #32
oldbillthundercheif

Prison and the morgue are equally unlikely end-results of the above response.

Missing, presumed dead (AKA crab-food) would be the probable end.

"That feller from California went fishin' and never came back."
-Bait-shop employee explaining to police why there has been a truck and trailer with CA plates sitting by the launch for five months.
Old May 28, 2007, 04:10 PM   #33
Tac1911

Bottom line, he had his kids with him. If I were to engage any hostile with family nearby, it would be because NO other option was open.

I'd say FIRST drop and find cover. Shooter probably already knows your there, whats wrong with "HEY! Please don't shoot me!" (Could work to disarm him a bit if he remains agressive). Hopefully the cellphone works, and one of the kids is on it (Quietly). 911 cellphone triangulation for the win! If not sit behind cover, stop, look, and listen. Then, again if possible, evade him back out of the place.

It scares the hell out of me thinking of some daddy jumping up valiently returning fire, only to get sniped, and end up feeding the crabs/gators (while his kids watched). Then what happens to his kids should he fail?? Grow up in "deliverence" land best case? Escape is the best option, untill you can't.

But I probably would never find myself on any property that I could worry about belonging to someone who might object to my presence.
Old May 28, 2007, 04:13 PM   #34
WIN71

Quote:
truck and trailer with CA plates sitting by the launch for five months.
You must live in a wonderful state oldbill. It's been my experience that CA plated rigs of any kind don't last 5 days, let alone 5 months.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:41 AM   #35
crt360

I had someone shoot in my direction one night when I was out fishing. It was very dark and I was on a public lake. My first instinct was to duck down and say a few choice words, but I knew a fiberglass bass boat was not cover, so I fired up the motor and got out of there. I'm familiar with the area and I know the shooter couldn't have been more than 50 yards away, but it was too dark to see anything.

I recommend doing anything you can to get out of the situation. The shooting is either (1) unintentional (they don't know you are there), (2) a warning (they see you, but aren't trying to hit you), or (3) an attempt to hit you that missed. With no concealment and no protection, hauling ass is your only option. Raising a weapon is very likely to to get you killed in both (3) and (2). The shooter in (1) doesn't even know you are there yet, but will if you take a shot.

I always figured anyone who would shoot at or near someone for encroaching on their property, especially where no visible boundary exists (like in a swamp), is up to no good, somewhat retarded or otherwise wrong in the head and I'm not going to approach them to explain my situation.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:59 AM   #36
El Barto

Pffffft,

You boys with your toy fiberglass boats. Whenever I go out gigging, I always take my tactical johnboat with Kevlar reinforced gunnels and special tactical drape that I can deploy “envelope style”. If the SHTF, I have an escape hatch built into the bottom. Sure it scuttles the tacboat, but it is a small price to pay for my safety. Oh, and that ain’t wife and kids with me; those are life-sized replicas that are used for diversionary tactics.

This begs the question, what caliber for Cajun?
Old May 29, 2007, 12:42 PM   #37
Vitamin G

Quote:
1) Why would I be "pretty sure" it's a warning shot?
You can be fairly certain it was a warning shot because you're down on the bayou, and you heard a gunshot, and you're not bleeding. You ever seen those cajuns handle firearms??
Old May 29, 2007, 02:49 PM   #38
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Something similar happened to a professional bass angler (I think it was Gary Klein). He had some idiot fire a shot in front of his boat. The cops did nothing about it if memory serves me. I now carry an AR in my bass boat. If I get shot at once its time to leave and call five-o. If while I'm preparing to escape more shots are fired and I'm not hit shooter has problems.
I would have to agree with this.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:44 AM   #39
jfrey123

Quote:
911 cellphone triangulation for the win! If not sit behind cover, stop, look, and listen.
Now we're using liberal arguements to defend ourselves. Don't shoot back, just wait behind a rock while the guy has you already sighted in. You're in the middle of the brush, so that cell phone triangulation will be quick, yet the response will be definatly lacking in the time area. The good ol' sheriff will roll up on you in time to watch the rigor mortis set in.

Look, now I'm not saying the proper response is to shoot back and ask questions later. I'm positive that in a real world senario, most of us would resort to shooting as a last possible option. I'm just not personally going to sit by and allow myself to get picked off, either through those words, fleeing, or response of my own deadly force to the deadly force this individual has presented me should an escape be out of the question

Now, for all those who jump immediatly to the "Enjoy Prison" response: I agree with you if you clearly know you are on private property. When you're aware of a trespass you are committing, yet you respond to a property owner with your own firearm, I completely agree you are going to jail. No questions asked. However, for the sake of this thread and debate, you don't know you are on private property, and it's not clearly indicated in the topic that you are. It's merely suggested. Which is why, in previous post, I stated that it's important to pay attention to signs and fences. If you're postive you're on public land, and you are forced to shoot back and defend yourself, I have a hard time believing you would be charged and/or found guilty of anything more than self defense.

However, since I've brought such an importance to the intent of the topic presented, you are in Lousiana. It might be a police officer from Kansas or state trooper from California there to tell you that your firearm is now illegal and that you shouldn't be there. DEFINATLY SHOULDN'T shoot back in that case... Sorry bad joke.