The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 23, 2006, 09:36 PM   #51
bdcochran

Not a legal question

The first guy I worked for was an attorney named Bill Wells, Santa Monica, CA. He said that it wasn't enough to be able to ask a question. It was also important to think through to a solution before posing the question to someone else. In that way, a person learns.

"You often see police officers firing at the drivers windshield as the bg tries to run the cop over. But, what if you are a private citizen and someone is trying to run you down with a car?"

1. Why do you think a policeman is using deadly force? It might be because he believes that it is justified.
2. Why does a policeman shoot a driver's window? Maybe because shooting a tire or an engine block is not as immediate in terminating a threat as shooting a BG.
3. What do you do if someone is trying to run you down? Answer - you try to avoid being run down!

Do you think that the hypothetical is sufficient? What if you are next to a building at the edge and can step out of the way? Do you have an effective firearm?

How about fleshing it out a bit more. You are sitting in the wide open on a highway. You are in a wheel chair that is locked. You have a 50 cal. handgun and it is loaded. The car is approaching at 45 miles an hour. It is 30 feet away. What are your options? You fire. You are still run over because the momentum of the car is such that it is not going to change the trajectory or stop the vehicle.

I didn't make up the last point to be sarcastic. It was to illustrate a couple of points. 1. Don't turn a common sense question into a legal question. Use common sense first, and then keep your mouth shut when you are questioned by the police. I know a lot of people who ended up in jail because "I told the truth to the police".
2. think outside of the box. Think up and solve the problems yourself. You will learn better.
Old December 24, 2006, 12:38 AM   #52
JohnKSa
Staff

I think that the key is that whatever course of action you take, you should have a good explanation for why you did it.

Shooting at the guy just because he's trying to run you down may not be a very good explanation if you could have just stepped behind a nearby building or tree and been safe.

You should make sure that your actions are either obviously defensive or that you can explain them so that they are then obviously defensive.

More to the point, you shouldn't try to solve the problem with a gun just because that's what you have available. Don't let your available tools dictate your response.

It may very well be that you can defend yourself from someone trying to run you down by using your carry weapon. I'd definitely look around for another option. Handguns are not very effective against cars and windshields are surprisingly bullet resistant--at least with respect to pistol bullets.
Old December 24, 2006, 12:19 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

What if the car is "Christine" - that possessed Devil Red convertible? It could squeeze between buildings, be set on fire and still come after you. Should you load silver bullets?

If the car is coming at you, I think you should retreat sidewise.
Old December 24, 2006, 03:33 PM   #54
Doug.38PR

Mr. Meyer, you reminded me of that crazy movie back in the 70s where Dennis Weaver is being chased by the killer truck. He is a businessman driving across the southwest and this dirty old 10 wheeler is chasing him all over the map and pops up where ever he happens to be.

Duel! That's it.

See if you can trick that car into driving off a cliff
Old December 24, 2006, 06:08 PM   #55
Glenn E. Meyer

Waiting to go out, so time to type.

Duel, Doug - was one of Spielberg's first. It set the tone for his later thrillers, IIRC.

I think Dennis annoyed the driver and thus was stalked. Of course, Dennis didn't have his SAAs with him.

Spielberg has a strange history as a gun guy. He was on the cover of GunGames with a skeet gun and has been rumoured to be a secret shooter but has to be PC in Hollywood.

Happy Holidays! Is it time to leave yet, dear?
Old December 24, 2006, 06:19 PM   #56
Doug.38PR

Quote:
I think Dennis annoyed the driver and thus was stalked. Of course, Dennis didn't have his SAAs with him.
Didn't have Matthew there to help him huh. Didn't he often carry a shotgun as Dillon's deputy?

Quote:
Spielberg has a strange history as a gun guy. He was on the cover of GunGames with a skeet gun and has been rumoured to be a secret shooter but has to be PC in Hollywood.
Someone else mentioned the other day that Spielberg was sort of a pro gun guy. However, I seem to remember the latest version of War Of the Worlds (which he directed) having an anti-gun message that, in a nutshell, said that having and carrying a gun will only make matters worse for everyone. (But then that may have been Tom Cruise to throw in that message)