The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 21, 2014, 12:28 AM   #1
deerslayerdave

Optics for hunting

Alright I've got a noob question here,
I've killed running deer up close with scoped rifles that only go down to 3x, and I've killed standing deer at over 100 yards with rifles that have non-magnified red dot sights and I've noticed neither setup is near ideal for both types of shots.

I'd like an optic for a solid hitting AR like one in 450 bushmaster so I'd really like an optic mounted forward so i don't get idiot cuts... again cough cough .

Is there a way run a magnifier and red dot sight without magnifying the reticle?

And is there a scope with more eye relief than a standard 3-9x40 that would work well for close and fast shots?

Just wondering here but input would be appreciated.
Old October 21, 2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Doyle

Quote:
And is there a scope with more eye relief than a standard 3-9x40 that would work well for close and fast shots?
Depends on what you mean by "standard". Eye relief can vary quite a bit among the various manufacturers. Most problems are caused by the shooter himself (or the gunsmith that installed the scope) - either because the shooter is craning his neck too far forward or the scope is mounted too far to the rear. I've always like Leupolds. They have about a half inch more eye relief than most other brands.
Old October 21, 2014, 08:19 AM   #3
MarkCO

Magnifiers magnify everything in the forward optics reticle.

I run a Burris MTAC 1.5-6 on my .450 Bushmaster. It is pretty close to optimum for that set-up. You could always look at a 1-5 or 1-6, but that will be at least twice the cost of the 1.5-6. Sure, you lose a little speed on follow-ups inside 30 yards or so, but that occasion is rare. The .450BM is pretty much a DRT cartridge if you hit.
Old October 21, 2014, 09:51 PM   #4
gk1

While magnifiers do magnify the dot, it's the same size relative to the target, so it would remain a 2 MOA (or whatever) dot.
Old October 22, 2014, 12:20 AM   #5
deerslayerdave

Good point GK1 I hadn't thought of that, I'll either run a magnified red dot or maybe a Leupold 1.5-4x20 I believe either will take care of bambi just fine, thanks yall.
Old October 22, 2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Erno86

May I suggest checking out Vortex's 1-6x Generation II, with a ruggedly built 30mm tube and the crosshair reticle designed by Jerry Miculek --- On sale now at Brownells.

--- George Orwell
Old October 22, 2014, 04:16 PM   #7
wogpotter

Really stupid question, feel free.
But what happens if you mount the magnifier in front of the red dot?

Wouldn't it (in theory) magnify the target, but leave the red dot alone?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 22, 2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Snyper

Quote:
But what happens if you mount the magnifier in front of the red dot?
I doubt the eye relief would allow that
Old October 22, 2014, 11:01 PM   #9
jimbob86

re: "idiot cuts"

I dunno ..... I run a 3x9x32 on a hard kicking .270WIN bolt gun, and have hit running deer ..... never been hit with the scope......

Proper gun mounting, sight height, cheek weld and lots of dry fire, sufficient live fire practice ....... keeping your face where it is supposed to be, out of habit, will prevent that stuff.....

..... OTH, not putting in the practice will get you what my nephew got when he borrowed a rifle a week before season, put 1/2 a box through it from a bench, and when the deer showed up on opening morning, threw the gun to his shoulder, squeezed the trigger and broke his nose......
Old October 22, 2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Recoiljunky

I have and still do run an eotech 512 with the 3x flip magnifier and the dot on it is still plenty small thru the magnifier for deer and hog out to 200 yards or so. haven't used it further than that. I have been wanting to get my hands on a Leupold mark 4 CQ/T as it seems like it would be a good fit for a close range deer and hog rifle out to about 250 yards. its a true 1-3 power and best part is if your batteries dead you can still see the reticle. down side is the price. so i nominate you to be the guinea pig Dave. and let us know how well it works
Old October 23, 2014, 06:40 AM   #11
Vt.birdhunter

Quote:
is there a scope with more eye relief than a standard 3-9x40
You can mount a "scout" style scope.
They offer a middle ground for eye relief compared to short rifle ER and long pistol ER. On an AR-15 platform it puts the scope over the hand guard instead of sitting over your receiver.

You can also look for a standard scope with generous eye relief.
Burris timberline and compacts are worth looking at.
Old October 23, 2014, 09:11 AM   #12
wogpotter

Check out "shotgun" scope sights too, they tend to have an eye relief in between the standard & scout types.

Old October 23, 2014, 09:13 AM   #13
wogpotter

Quote:
I doubt the eye relief would allow that
Oh well, good idea but I hadn't thought of that

Old October 23, 2014, 02:06 PM   #14
jmr40

I just use a lightweight 1-4X20 shotgun scope. On 1X eye relief is more than enough, anyone can easily use one with both eyes open just like a dot. I find them faster to use than a dot up close and at longer ranges, much faster than forward mounted scout type scopes. Move it up to 4X and you have enough magnification for 400+ yard shots. They work bettter in low light and are a lot cheaper for equal quality too. I tried dots, but they are all gone in favor of small scopes.

Eye relief isn't just about preventing the scope from hitting you. Generous eye relief makes it far easier to find the target in your scope without having your eye positioned perfectly behind it. Makes quick snap shots much easier.