The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2012, 02:22 PM   #1
rajbcpa

Hornady L-N-L pawl adjustment for indexing

This press is new - I have had it about 6 weeks or so.

Anyway, on the downstroke, the press indexing often does not go far enough to the right (clockwise movement) so that detent ball in the shellholder clincks into place.

This is somewhat inconsistent. When the arm is released quickly, the indexing usually works well and most of the problem appears to ocurr during a slower release of the ram arm.

During the first week, I busted two pawls, so I'm more careful now if anything starts to jam.

According to Hornady Customer Service, "the starting point for the adjustement is to screw each indexing pawl down 100% and back it out 1.5 turns. If any additional adjustment is needed, move the pawl adjustment screw by 1/16th turn."

I have adjusted both pawls by more than 1/2 turn and the indexing on the downstroke does not appear to advance any further.

Question: Does the right pawl or left pawl adjust the indexing on the downstroke? Do I need to crank the pawl adjustment screw more, say 1 or 2 full turns?

Thx..
Old October 9, 2012, 03:06 PM   #2
LE-28

The left pawl runs the downstroke, Adjust them both like Hornady said to do, On the up stroke the shell plate should also click into the detent, then you can adjust the left pawl up a little to make it advance a little further on the down stroke.

Adjust it no more than a eighth of a turn until it just clicks in and that's all.

I had to advanse mine a little when it was new because I run the cycle slower then it was apparently designed to be ran.

Mine works fine this way, even if I get going to fast.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:27 PM   #3
TheTinMan

My advice is to watch the way the machine works, operating the handle slowly. Adjust only one pawl at a time and make tiny adjustments until you just get the shellplate to click into place.

Did you grease the ball bearings? REM DriLube or equivalent on bearing surface underneath?
Old October 12, 2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Valerko

How is that LNL ,anyway?
Been thinking about getting one. Mostly for pistol ammo.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
cryogenic419

This thread has been most helpful when it comes to adjusting the pawls.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368171