The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Base and Rings for 1 Inch Scope and Marlin 795

A total noob here, so if I'm way off track then please set me back on the right path.

I have a Cabela's Caliber Specific Scope, 3-9x40, 1" tube, .22LR that I wish to place on a Marlin 795. I do not know which rings and bases I should select. I would be interested in something "removable", in the sense of leaving the base on the rifle and being able to remove the scope to place on another rifle - if that is an available or recommended option. (Especially if by removing the scope then I would be able to use the TruTech sights I have mounted.)

Is someone could guide me towards the manufacturer and part numbers for options on both fixed and removable, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew
Old August 26, 2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Creeper

The 3/8" base on a Marlin 795 can be dimensionally inconsistent. Because of this, I would suggest you use a 1 piece base - 3/8" to Weaver.
To be more specific, a BKL-568 1 piece base. From this permanently attached and more stable surface, you can then use any of the "throw lever", quick detachable 1913 base rings commercially available... such as (for example) the Leupold QRW rings.

Cheers,
C
Old August 26, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
SerenityNetworks

Thank you Creeper. This is very helpful. Yet it is more expensive than I anticipated. Perhaps if it more cost effective, I would forgo the detachable rings. Is there a fixed adapter and ring set you might recommend that could come from one source, so as to save a bit more on shipping?

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old August 26, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
big al hunter

With the dovetail grooves machined into the top of the receiver at the factory you now have 2 options. Use the base mentioned above by creeper and any weaver style rings. Or you can get dovetail 1" rings and mount the scope on the provided grooves. The base provides a platform that is more uniform and less likely to cause damage to the scope. It is more expensive and adds 1 more place for failure in the mounting system, but is a good idea if the dovetail grooves are not straight. Dovetail to 1" rings are simple and easy to install. Both options are removable without affecting the rifle.
Cabelas should stock the dovetail rings for 30$ or so.
Old August 26, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
Is there a fixed adapter and ring set you might recommend that could come from one source, so as to save a bit more on shipping?
Return to the BKL site and look at the BKL-260 base/ring unit.

C
Old August 26, 2012, 01:22 PM   #6
FiveInADime

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001BR4TJY

This one-piece mount is used by many 60/795 shooters over on Rimfire Central. With standard 1" tip-off rings the scope would walk on the rail. I bought the above mount for mine and it is rock solid.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old August 26, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
SerenityNetworks

Thanks again fellows.

So to repeat in my own words, to see if I'm learning something:
  • "Dovetail" is the term that describes the type of mount provided on the Marlin receiver.
  • Using a dovetail to Weaver adapter provides a more effective platform in that it is a more uniform base and allows the flexibility of various rings.
  • Using 1" dovetail rings is less expensive, but carries the risk of damaging the scope if the grooves are not straight. Also, it may shift with use (walking?).
  • Using something like the BKL-260 mounts is stable as bullet two, but just not as flexible.

Did I get this right?

I only paid $50 for the scope, so $30 is more in line with what I was hoping to spend on mounting. But if I did go with BKL unit, I'm confused by some of the terms used. That is "Turret Clearance" and how does it impact me?

Also, just to check: the OD of the objective barrel is 1.86", so with a 1" tube that would mean 0.43" of gap I would need between the bottom of the mount and the bottom of the ring. The BLK-260 says: Bottom of Mount to bottom of Scope Tube: 0.774”, so it looks like I'd have room to spare (especially since the dovetail sits about 0.15" above the barrel. Am I figuring this correctly? (I haven't looked yet at the spec's for the Accushot.)

Thanks again for walking me through this,
Andrew
Old August 26, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Creeper

Holy crap that's a lot of questions.

1. yes
2. yes
3. maybe
4. correct

$50 for a scope? Couldn't find anything cheaper than that huh?

If you look at the mount, it's .774" from the ring bottom circumference to the bottom mounting surface of the base... your scope will be, measured at the centerline of the scope, 1.274" above the dovetail rail on the rifle.
With the scope mounted, you have .125" gap between the 1" tube and the top of the base. This allows room for the "turret block" to clear the base... if there is a full surround turret block.
The objective bell... you have .344" (difference between .1.274" and 1/2 of your objective bell diameter, or .930")... plus your approximate .150" clearance from the barrel. Plenty of room.

C
Old August 26, 2012, 02:39 PM   #9
FiveInADime

I believe in high-quality mounts, but spending $60 on the BKL 1-piece for a $50 scope is a little overkill, IMO.

Old August 26, 2012, 02:43 PM   #10
FiveInADime

Here's how the Leapers looks on my 795.

Old August 26, 2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Creeper

Quote:
I believe in high-quality mounts, but spending $60 on the BKL 1-piece for a $50 scope is a little overkill, IMO.
Maybe it will encourage Mr. Andrew to step up to a better scope... I can't even imagine what a $50 scope is like.

Hey... here's a thought, maybe he bought a used Leupold from a really broke friend. Not likely, but it happens.

Hey Mr. Andrew... what exactly is this $50 scope? Do we have a reason to verbally abuse you into getting something better?

C
Old August 26, 2012, 02:52 PM   #12
SerenityNetworks

Wow! Your answer had more information than my questions!

Quote:
$50 for a scope? Couldn't find anything cheaper than that huh?
The other weekend Cabela's had a "Doorbuster" sale and I picked up one of their $99 "Caliber Specific Scopes" for 1/2 price. I really like the TruTech iron sights on the Marlin, but at that price I thought I'd try a scope. If I don't like it then I'll take it off and put it on my grandfather's early 30's vintage Century Arms (Mossberg) .22. It still shoots great, but the iron sights are ruined.

Quote:
If you look at the mount, it's .774" from the ring bottom circumference to the bottom mounting surface of the base... your scope will be, measured at the centerline of the scope, 1.274" above the dovetail rail on the rifle.
Okay, I'm with you so far.

Quote:
With the scope mounted, you have .125" gap between the 1" tube and the top of the base. This allows room for the "turret block" to clear the base... if there is a full surround turret block.
Huh? I'm lost. I'm not even sure what to ask.

Quote:
The objective bell... you have .344" (difference between .1.274" and 1/2 of your objective bell diameter, or .930")... plus your approximate .150" clearance from the barrel. Plenty of room.
This makes sense, but I'm missing something in the middle.

Sorry to be so dense,
Andrew
Old August 26, 2012, 02:57 PM   #13
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
Maybe it will encourage Mr. Andrew to step up to a better scope... I can't even imagine what a $50 scope is like.

Hey... here's a thought, maybe he bought a used Leupold from a really broke friend. Not likely, but it happens.

Hey Mr. Andrew... what exactly is this $50 scope? Do we have a reason to verbally abuse you into getting something better?

C
That Simmons .22 Mag 3-9x32mm scope on my 795 was $35. It's not too shabby for a .22 plinker. I have shot some good scores on the Rimfire Central 50-yard benchrest targets with it (91-2x).

Old August 26, 2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Creeper

Math 'R Us....

Turret clearance is .125". This is the allowable space between the top of the base (with this particular ring height) and the lowest part of the scope... at the turrets. Turret blocks can be a bit thick an can sometimes extend beyond the diameter of the scope main tube.... so the .125" is what you have to work with.

Sorry... I forgot to divide one value. OK... I think I've got all the numbers right now. It's not like you don't have to think about this a little bit ya' know.

Follow this:
[/I]Your objective bell is 1.860". 1/2 of that is .930". (1.860/2= 930).
You have a stated value of .774" from the scope dovetail base to the base circumference of the ring... plus .500" to the centerline of the 1" scope ring. That's 1.274". (774+500= 1.274)
1.274" divided by 2 is .637" (1.274/2=637) This is where I screw'd up.

The vertical clearance between the two horizontal points, which are the objective bell and the top of the rifle dovetail, is .930" minus the .637"... which is .293". (930-637=293)

You say the barrel is about .150" lower than the top of the rifles dovetail... so, add that to the .293". That is your available clearance for the objective bell.

Head hurts... need nap.

C
Old August 26, 2012, 10:11 PM   #15
SerenityNetworks

Whoa! I just noticed that I replied having not seen some of the prior posts. (Browser refresh issues.) And I typed the meat of what I have below before I noticed. Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore anyone. Hopefully my reply won't seem too disjointed.

No, can't shame me into a better scope (for this rifle). Maybe someday, but first I'm saving my money for a Remington Model 700 Sendero and an appropriately expensive optic for it. The Marlin is my trigger time practice tool until I can get the Sendero. The strategy: get a used Sendero (for the stock and action) and then get a custom barrel. The current plan is for either a really nice Leupold or Night Force with a Horus reticle. But that's going to be awhile, so meanwhile I'm going to be cheap on other stuff.

FiveInADime, wow! I love that stock. Where did you find aftermarkets like that!

But back to the measurement, I was thinking it through this way:
  • Working upwards we have 0.150 (barrel to dovetail) + 0.774 (dovetail to ring) + 0.500 (ring to center-line) = 1.424" (barrel to center-line)
  • Working downwards we have center-line to base of objective is 1.860 / 2 = 0.930
  • That leaves 1.424 - 0.930 = 0.494 between the base of the objective and the top of the barrel (using the BKL as an example).
  • In short, I have just short of 1/2 to spare. (And the lower turret block is 0.100, so I'm okay there too.)
Does this make seem correct? My head hurts too.

Of course, all that said, I can't justify $60 bucks to mount a $50/$100 scope unless it makes a critical difference in shot consistency. If FiveInADime has consistent performance with a $15 set then that's the way I'm going.

Still, thank you everyone for the lesson. (And let me know if I'm still bumfuddled with my calculation.)

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old August 26, 2012, 11:51 PM   #16
FiveInADime

My stock is a Boyds thumbhole pepper color. A couple years ago Boyds was releasing limited runs of these stocks (unfinished) for Marlin 60's. For the 795, you had to mill out the area for the magazine well and make a few other modifications for it to fit right.

I just heard that Boyds is now making drop in stocks for the 795 and 60 in a couple different styles and several color patterns. These come completely finished.

Old August 27, 2012, 07:08 AM   #17
SerenityNetworks

It is a nice looking stock. Thanks.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Tags
base and rings , marlin 795 , scope