The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1
kraigwy

Looks like SD is getting Constitional Carry Law

Passed by the House and Senate and is waiting for governor's signature.

SD would be the 5th state to allow carrying w/out a permit, Vermont, Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/new...arry_bill.html
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2012, 09:00 AM   #2
C0untZer0

While I think it's a good thing, I can't help but thnk it's fodder for those anti-gunners who oppose H.R.822 - the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act.

HR 822 if enacted would allow the untrained uncertified South Dakotans to roam the streets of Illinois armed !

EEEEEEk

Old March 3, 2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Oh, no! Blood will run in the streets, just like in . . . .ummm . . . .

[/joke]
Old March 3, 2012, 06:48 PM   #4
hermannr

COuntzerO, I do hope you were being sacastic??? As it is, WA CPL holders are also "untrained" and have been so for over 50 years (latest CPL version passed in 1961)

I wonder why all these other states with their "training" requirements don't notice, there is no blood running in the streets of WA. Oh yes, we have totally unlicensed OC too.
Old March 3, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermannr
COuntzerO, I do hope you were being sacastic??? As it is, WA CPL holders are also "untrained" and have been so for over 50 years (latest CPL version passed in 1961)

I wonder why all these other states with their "training" requirements don't notice, there is no blood running in the streets of WA. Oh yes, we have totally unlicensed OC too.
Ditto Pennsylvania. No training requirement for a License to Carry Firearm (LTCF). Unlicensed open carry legal everywhere in the state except within Philadelphia city limits. PA is right next door to NY and NJ, two states with some of the most restrictive firearms laws anywhere in the country, and the statistics for both accidental shootings attributed to CCW holders and crime attributed to CCW holders and open carriers combined are not significantly different from NY or NJ.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Tieszen, a former Rapid City police chief, said the South Dakota Sheriffs Association and the South Dakota Police Chiefs Association opposed the bill.
[sincerity, deep] I'm shocked, I tell you, just shocked! [/sincerity]

I hope South Dakotans will adopt constitutional carry and set a good example for the rest of the nation.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:43 AM   #7
jgcoastie

Welcome to America South Dakota.

We've been waiting for you.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:36 PM   #8
thegunwire

In so many ways, South Dakota is paradise.

If only something could be done about the cold weather.

- thegunwire
Old March 8, 2012, 06:05 PM   #9
divil

Quote:
While I think it's a good thing, I can't help but thnk it's fodder for those anti-gunners who oppose H.R.822 - the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act.

HR 822 if enacted would allow the untrained uncertified South Dakotans to roam the streets of Illinois armed !
I also presume this was sarcastic, but for the benefit of anyone who's not sure, there is not one but two reasons why the above is not true:

1. HR822 will have no effect on states that don't already allow CCW (Illinois being the only one now I think?)

2. HR822 will not apply to anyone who doesn't have a permit, no matter what state they come from. Therefore this new South Dakota law really can't have any effect whatsoever on HR822.