The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

Salem, Oregon components

What are the current component prices in the Willamette Valley? Vendors?

For the most part I use Winchester 231 (HP-38?), Winchester Small Pistol (WSP) primers and AA #7.

By the way, what are component storage laws in Marion county?

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old June 5, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Marco Califo

Mail-order = all of them.
Midway
Wideners
Old June 5, 2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Vance

In Oregon in Coos Bay, Bi Mart is the only store besides the gun shops that carry primers and powders and RCBS reloading equipment.

Powders run $20 per pound. WSP primers are $3.47 per 100. The gun shop prices are a little higher.

I know Cabelas just opened a new store in Eugene/Springfield recently, so you could get stuff there.
Old June 5, 2011, 09:03 PM   #4
A_Gamehog

You have a Sportsmans warehouse there (Renamed to another), BI-mart is also O.K. in salem.
Old June 5, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

Yeeek! I hope BiMart and others offer quantity discount. I normally buy a case of 5000.

A_Gamehog would the new name for Sportsmans Warehouse be Wholesale Sports? I see one listed right down the street from here.

Old June 6, 2011, 12:30 AM   #6
A_Gamehog

Same thing, Wholesale sports,I have the same one here in Bend. Good prices on powder because you don't have the online/hazmat fees, was there Saturday, 150.00 for 8lbs of Varget... Best guy is over your way is south of Corvalis on old hwy99, Dead center Reloading. One man shop, and X-Army. Worth the drive just to chat to him. He had primers when NOBODY had them. He's "Connected"

Dead Center Reloading
(541) 758-2028
29974 Highway 99w, Corvallis, OR 97333

http://www.dexknows.com/business_pro...oading-b751688

Nice guy and he has everything you need..

Last edited by A_Gamehog; June 6, 2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old June 6, 2011, 12:37 AM   #7
Guy B. Meredith

Great! Thanks. I'll be down there Wednesday.

Old June 6, 2011, 12:41 AM   #8
A_Gamehog

He's the real deal...
Old June 6, 2011, 12:47 AM   #9
Chuck Dye

Call or visit Philomath Gun Shop. They're about 15 miles west of I-5 on OR-34 (exit 228.)
Old June 6, 2011, 01:12 AM   #10
zippy13

I haven't been there in years, have you checked out Mitchell's in Gervais (503-792-3431). They are a shotgun place but they might have an idea where to get good prices locally.
Old June 7, 2011, 01:28 AM   #11
Nosparetime

Bi-Mart will probably be your best bet in Salem. Depends on who waits on you in Wholesale Sports.
There are three gun shops in Salem that I know of. The guy that owns Philomath Gun Shop is a good guy.

I have WSP primers. I drive thru Salem everyday. $30.00/5000.

I would not ask the Sheriff what the storage laws are.

Oops: 30/1000 in 5000 quanity.

Last edited by Nosparetime; June 7, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old June 7, 2011, 08:37 AM   #12
Geezerbiker

If you ever drive north to Oregon, City, Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor carries a better selection of powders and bullets than Bi-Mart but has higher prices.

I wanted a can of RL7 and they were the only place around that carried it. Bi-Mart couldn't even order it for me. I could have mail ordered it but I didn't want to pay the hasmat fee for one pound of power that I wasn't even sure I was going to like.

Tony
Old June 7, 2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Guy B. Meredith

Thanks for all the responses! I'll be checking into all of them if for no other reason than to introduce myself to the local shooters.

Cabella's online prices on primers are marginally best from what I've seen so far, but that's a bit of a drive. Have only seen BiMart's price on 231 so far.

Anyone familiar with the gun shop in Albany on 20 (I think) near a tactical gear shop and one other firearms related shop? I've driven by a number of times but never at a time convenient to stop in.

Old June 9, 2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Kestrel4k

re: Anyone familiar with the gun shop in Albany on 20 (I think) near a tactical gear shop and one other firearms related shop?

Albany Gold, Coins & Guns, on the right as you're driving south? I've done some business there, but don't really have an opinion either way. I'm unsure if you'll find much in the way of great deals there though.

But if you're coming down, Rangemaster Gunworks (Jeff) has a decent gunshop just east of Corvallis on Hwy 34. I go there a lot, his prices are often very fair although I don't know if he's much of a bulk dealer. Really good customer service for a gunsmith IMO, although his shop is only open on Tuesdays, Fridays, & Saturdays.

If you drop by anyplace down here, please post back w/ your opinions. I hadn't heard of that reloading shop on Hwy 99, I'll have to check them out.

(I work in Albany, BTW)

Last edited by Kestrel4k; June 9, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old June 9, 2011, 05:39 PM   #15
Guy B. Meredith

This is turning into quite an adventure. We were in Corvallis yesterday, but had other appointments, had to do hit and run visits and only made it to three shops. My first impression with all the folks managing the shops was positive.

All the shops are quite small and crowded. Does this have to do with rental costs, legal restrictions on size or just happenstance?

I had quite a chuckle imagining one of the San Francisco liberals like Feinstein, Boxer or that ilk had they been there. They probably would wet their pants seeing the "assault weapons" with full size magazines lining the walls. I'll probably never be interested in EBRs, but I've just gotta love being away from the brain numbing bigotry of the San Francisco liberals.

The Albany Gun Shop is the one on Pacific Blvd with CNS Firearms half a block down on the other side of the street. When we first drove by I was curious about the clustering of the two gun shops and the tactical gear shop.

Neither of these carry reloading components. Albany Gun Shop's rack of ammo looks like it's all been around and is just enough to fill one or two ammo cans. I didn't see any ammo at CNS, either, but didn't have the time to do an honest look.

The last one was the Philomath Gun Shop. This shop does carry components. The WSP I use were $33.80 or so for 1000. I neglected to take notes on the powder, but thought I'd seen a better price on the 231. Once again, there appeared to be no Accurate Arms powder. I might have found some with a longer look. They carry Hornady presses and I might look into that as I have a very early press and am envious of some of the updates.

BiMart has WSP primers for a little less than $35 per thousand, 231 for $19. Like I said Cabela's has the WSP for $32.99 per thousand on line, but I don't know whether the prices will be the same at the store in Eugene. That's quite a bit of gas money for the small savings anyway.

It looks like Dead Center Reloading and Rangemaster are on tap for the next visit. Other than Nosparetime's prices, those I've seen so far are pretty much the same when you consider driving distances. The choice between them would have to depend on the overall relationship with the shop.

Old June 9, 2011, 08:09 PM   #16
Vance

Yes, the prices locally are close to each other. I still like to do business locally so I support the local business. The shop owner has a lot to do with it. It is great when you find a shop owner who is friendly and knows what he is talking about.

It was good to hear of your initial positive experience.
Old June 9, 2011, 11:38 PM   #17
A_Gamehog

I was at the Eugene Cabelas 2 weeks ago, I was dissapointed with their reloading stock of brass and powder and primers. Just walked thru and said a waste of my time. Lots of overpriced rifles also. I did get 100 pcs. of Lapua .223 brass for 54$ though. Elbow to Elbow.......Memorial weekend....
Old June 10, 2011, 12:49 AM   #18
20thru45

Location: In the first foothills of the Cascade mountains outside Portland OR
If I was heading north from Salem I'd stop by The Gun Broker in Woodburn Oregon. Great owners! and a decent mix of product (not reloading so much). Still heading North on 99E don't forget Fisherman's Marine in Oregon City which has some federal match primers in stock, and very knowledgeable staff. Just north of Fisherman's in Milwaukie is a second hand store which from time to time has outstanding firearms and good prices. I picked up a rem 700 LH with redfield widefield 2 X 7 for $365 this winter. That is the Cash Spot. Keep driving North past the Bomber and you will find Northwest Armory which has some components and one of the better selections on firearms in PDX metro. If you get out to Gresham see Keith's which probably has more guns for sale than any other single retailer, good prices and lots of ammo.
Old June 10, 2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Guy B. Meredith

Thanks for the info on shops. Right now I'm new in the area and trying to sort things out.

Right now I am looking for components. I am sort of retired, hoping I can get back to shooting a whole lot more and paranoid about running out of reloading components. I will never be able afford factory ammo that I like--if it exists.

However, once I become an official Oregon resident (requires 6 months residency) and able to purchase firearms I will be looking for some good prices to purchase several firearms to celebrate my 66th birthday and escape from California.

Old June 10, 2011, 01:56 PM   #20
Kestrel4k

re: Right now I am looking for components. I am sort of retired, hoping I can get back to shooting a whole lot more and paranoid about running out of reloading components. I will never be able afford factory ammo that I like--if it exists.

Particularly if you're looking for older stuff, Rangemaster Gunworks has a variety of new-old stock bullets, often with somewhat-outdated (i.e. good) old prices on them. He has a decent variety of used stuff for sale which has often saved me money. Also, he recently quoted me a price for a special-order rifle that was extremely competitive, IMO.

Good luck,
Old June 11, 2011, 07:53 PM   #21
Guy B. Meredith

I visited two shops in Salem today, both within bicycling distance. Their components were on the high side. Firearms seem to be similar to other shops, though. I need to do some more shopping prices. At least I have a place to go in "emergencies" or if Nosparetime's truck breaks down.

This got me wondering how many shops have slow moving merchandise they bought on the spike in prices and are trying to recoup their expense, leaving them behind the curve as prices go down.