The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 4, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1
TargetTerror

Shooting gloves?

Does anyone use any shooting gloves that they could recommend? My express purpose is to deal with my sweaty palms, and give me a better grip on my gun.

But, I'd also be curious if anyone uses any gloves that specifically help with recoil. My .357 Magnum with wood grips really isn't that bad, though possibly might make things a little sore if I lit off a few hundred rounds. I do want to get something a bit bigger someday, and imagine that some sort of padded glove would help things be more comfortable. A fingerless biking glove actually came to mind, as they deal with shock and sweat pretty effectively.

Any suggestions?
Old June 5, 2007, 10:12 AM   #2
JoeHatley

I've found all "shooting" gloves with any padding at all, to be too thick.

I use Nike golf gloves, but lightweight shotgunner style gloves work well for me also.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old June 5, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Overhill

I have two sets of Bob Allen shooting gloves that work well for me. I use them for handgun and claybird displines. They are available with or without soft lining.
Old June 5, 2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Les Auten

My wife bought me a pair of P.A.S.T shooting gloves for Christmas a few years ago. They do reduce felt recoil and improve grip.
They are alright for shooting revolvers but it is extremely difficult to load magazines while wearing them,and they fit very tight and are hard to put on and take off.
Old June 9, 2007, 12:16 AM   #5
Bruxley

Consider rethinking gloves. Try different grips instead. Reason being you should practice/train the way you will shoot should the need arise.

If your sweaty palms are severe consider thin aluminum grips with skate board tape. Alot of other options are available.

When/if the time comes to defend yourself you WILL default to your training/practice and very likely will NOT have time to break out your gloves.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old June 14, 2007, 12:59 AM   #6
TargetTerror

You raise a valid point, Bruxley. All of my shooting, however, is at paper targets, so comfort at the range is my primary concern. For any emergency HD situation, I can handle my weapons well enough without gloves or further grip modification.
Old June 14, 2007, 01:05 AM   #7
tomh1426

I tried batting gloves but ended up solving my problems by getting different grips for my gun.
I hate gloves for anything
Old June 14, 2007, 02:51 AM   #8
MEDDAC19

Weightlifting gloves work well for helping tame recoil issues, and they are much less expensive than gloves that are shooting specific. Use the search ,there was a good thread not that long ago, that gave multiple solutions to just this question.
Old June 19, 2007, 12:08 AM   #9
CGSteve8718

At the risk of sounding like one of those gear crazy dress up psychos, I recommend the CQB Operator's gloves by Hatch. They are advertised in pretty much every tactical catalog and as the name suggests, I would assume they are made for shooting (but you know how advertising is).

I wore these in military training courses and I use them for shooting at the range now. They fit the hand very well, are not bulky, and "I" don't sweat in them. They are also heat/flash resistant up to a point (obviously) and are slash resistant as well. While wearing them, I could do pretty much anything just like with my hands save for grasping/holding the smallest most detailed stuff.

http://www.rstacticalgear.com/pd_hat...oves_black.cfm

That is what they look like, I didn't buy it from there, that's just what I googled real fast. Get a better price, I think I paid $45 for mine. They do come in different colors in case you do want to play dress up.
Old June 24, 2007, 08:57 PM   #10
k Squared

S & W Glove

I bought a S & W glove to protect my hand when shooting my 44 Mag. I find it gives a good grip and good protection from the recoil. The padding has not cause me any problem in getting my hand around the grips.

Good Luck
Old June 24, 2007, 11:04 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

+1 to practice like you will play. Don't wear gloves.

Only time I do is when it's COLD outside - then I wear $15 winter golf gloves:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...rocess=default
Old July 21, 2007, 01:26 AM   #12
olds442man

Quote:
Only time I do is when it's COLD outside - then I wear $15 winter golf gloves
FirstFreedom, do you use these at the range or hunting? I will be going hunting for the first time and have not decided on what gloves to wear. I will be in Craig Colorado in Nov.
Old July 21, 2007, 04:18 AM   #13
phil mcwilliam

I use gloves when hunting with my 44mag as I'm usualy riding a dirt bike anyway. The gloves do help absorb a bit of recoil specially if you're firing a lot of rounds. Try cutting the fingers out of a cheap pair of gloves - makes reloading a lot easier.
Old July 21, 2007, 08:22 AM   #14
Martyn4802

Bob Allen winter and summer gloves here. Outstanding!
Old July 21, 2007, 09:02 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

Olds42man, I use those winter golf gloves hunting, yes, when it's very cold, UNDER some fleece "flop-top" style mittens. PM if you don't know what I mean by that.