The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 23, 1999, 06:33 AM   #1
Titan

I just finished reading "The Enemy Within" by Larry Bond. In it he mentioned about an H&K MP2000 with integral suppressor. Heard of this?

Thanks for any info!

------------------
"it is better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot" -- anonymous
Old April 23, 1999, 09:39 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

HK MP2000 was the predecessor to the UMP according to SAR. Tried to access HKPRO as they probably have an image. Couldn't access site though. Will try another time.
Old May 8, 1999, 12:40 AM   #3
Titan

thanks, fal308. i ofund a pic link at www.moreammmo.com

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited May 08, 1999).]
Old May 8, 1999, 10:36 AM   #4
Daniel Watters

Your picture shows a UMP45, not the MP2000 prototype. Other than a straight vertical foregrip and an overall boxy shape, they don't have much in common.

The MP2000 was one of a series of HK prototypes meant to improve on the MP5; other prototype models included the SMG-I, SMG-II, and HK 54A1. Each of these possessed a barrel venting system that worked in conjunction with a detachable suppressor that screwed _inside_ the receiver/forearm. You could open the vents when the suppressor was attached to ensure that ordinarily supersonic cartridges were reduced in velocity to subsonic levels for even less noise signature. Or you could keep the vents closed with subsonic ammunition to prevent further velocity reduction. (Obviously, you'd keep the vents closed when the surpressor was removed.) Another feature of these models was their retracting shoulder stock that closed flush with the rear of the receiver; no gaps like the MP5A3.

The MP2000 was unique among these prototypes in offering an optional bolt lock for the suppression of even mechanical sounds. The MP2000 also had an automatic bolt hold-open feature when the last shot was fired; however, it did not have a separate bolt release latch like the MP5/10, MP5/40, and UMP45. Cocking handles were positioned on both sides of the receiver above the ejection port, and the magazine release was located _inside_ the trigger guard.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited May 08, 1999).]
Old May 8, 1999, 12:51 PM   #5
BlkHawk73

There's info on the MP2000 at http://www.unsuave.com/~hkpro/MP2000.htm
Old May 9, 1999, 12:39 AM   #6
Titan

Daniel -- ooppss! I knew it was the UMP45 but forgot to write so. Thanks for the correction and information!

------------------
"it is better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot" -- anonymous
Old July 27, 1999, 08:09 PM   #7
jcoleman

HKPRO is great. If you're an HK fan/admirer, it's a must for every HKfan's "Favorites" folder.

Any other great gunsites out there that you can recommend. I've started gathering a hefty list to go on the site I'm working on. I don't want to leave any good ones out.

Thanks for your time,

John Coleman