The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 2, 2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Just went for it and bought a scope for my AR. Opinions?

The title does a good job of summarising.

I have just ordered a scope online. Should get it late next week, along with a set of rings.

My first choice had been the Monarch 3 1-4x20 but they are on back, back, back order.

So, instead i chose the slightly more expensive (30% more!) Leupold VX2 1-4x20 with a set of Leupold Q-R 1" high rings.

Part impulse buy, part calculated risk.

A bit more expensive, but I'd never have had a scope before the end of the year otherwise...

I hope I chose well.
Old October 2, 2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Unlicensed Dremel

I think that's a good choice, for sure.

I prefer a slightly larger objective lens on an AR15 (36-44mm+), because, well, why NOT use all that space down to the bottom from the line of sight? But then again that makes it heavier, so your choice is great for a lightweight rig - I think you'll be quite pleased. You'll be able to make man-sized torso hits to 300 yards fairly easily. Nice eye relief on those Leupys, and one good thing about the small ocular bell besides weight savings, is that you have room to get your hands up under it to grab the charging handle.
Old October 8, 2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Well, it has arrived!

It looks very nice indeed. A bit sparse on the features front, but I was just looking for a scope to loom down and shoot with. With .223 my trajectories are such that a zero at 25m and another at 300 or so will make any hits in between fairly easy to calculate.

What a shame, then, that I can't actual mount it!!

The rings I ordered are woefully short when it comes to eliminating front sight post interference.
In fact I think I need ultra-high rings: 1.5 to 2" high to get a comfortable weld. Not only that, at 1" high the rings do not allow for my MBUS and I'd really like to keep them on... I think the issue is somewhat explained by the fact that these are centreline measured, not lower edge.

So, happy about the scope, but a bit miffed that I won't be able to use it for a while....

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; October 8, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old October 9, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4
viciouskitty

If you can get one of the Nikon m223 mounts they are either one or two piece allow an mbus to fit underneath and are decently priced. That's what I run on my AR. Or you could look into the Burris pepr mount as well.
Old October 9, 2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

All those are hard to find where I live. However, I found some rail risers on "fleabay" and ordered a pair of those. They will raise my rings by 1/2 an inch taking the total height to 1" 'rail-to-tube'.

With the help of my dad, we held the scope over the rail as I maintained my cheekweld, moving it up and down, back and forth to find the right position where I could see clearly without too much interference by the front sight, but also clear the MBUS. That height turn out 1" only, hence my riser choice!

Had my Leupold rings been rail to tube, not rail to centre-line, they'd have been perfect!!
Old October 9, 2014, 02:04 PM   #6
spacemanspiff

Have you considered replacing the front sight post with a flipup?
Old October 9, 2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Pond, James Pond

I'd looked at it and it seems pretty fixed. I could not see how to remove it. In any case, I've got the risers coming now and being only about €6.50 each, they were not so expensive. I will fit them with epoxy so that they will not wiggle about.

At that price, I doubt the fit is that of my Leupold rings. I'll spray the receiver with some WD40 so the epoxy doesn't bond the riser to the gun.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Pond, James Pond

So, the risers arrived today. I fitted them, offered up the scope and the height and necessary cheek weld are perfect! Happy shooter!
Old October 16, 2014, 07:29 AM   #9
marine6680

Glad you got it set up finally.

Too bad the rings were a little short, needing risers is a pain, but they work.

The front sight post will be pinned into place, most likely with taper pins that will only push out one direction. They can be a bit of a pain to get out, and the post can sometimes be tight on the barrel.

You will also need to remove the flash hider, so a new crush washer would be needed.

Overall not hugely difficult, fairly simple, just a bit of a pain.

Oh, and let us know how it shoots.

(This thread is a reminder that I should venture out of the main forum areas more often)

Last edited by marine6680; October 16, 2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old October 16, 2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Glad you got it set up finally.
I'm leaving the gun sights as they are. I've found a system that works. I have QR rings so I can easily go to irons (polymers) if I want, I have the risers if I want to refit the scope or even the RDS. I have all my options open which is something I like to have!!

I will be going to the range tomorrow. I hope to shoot my .308 to see how it likes some milsurp ammo I've sourced. I hope it does as it it is a heck of a lot cheaper than even reloads!!

I will also set my AR zero. My range owner explained how a zero at 25/50 gives a second zero about 250-300m, with barely any hold over needed at 100, so if I can get a good zero at the 300m range I'm good for competitions.

Either way thanks for all the advice regarding, well, everything connected to the AR. Yours and other members' pointers really helped make the decisions and the platform as a whole far clearer.
Old October 16, 2014, 10:57 PM   #11
marine6680

You are welcome. Enjoy your range trip.

I really like the 50yd zero, minimum deviation in point of impact out to 200yds.

HERE is a link to various zeros and their bullet path... it has pictures that help visualize the differences.

HERE it is in video form, with explanations/instructions.
Old October 17, 2014, 02:50 AM   #12
Pond, James Pond

Thanks for the powerpoint type presentation. With that, I think I'll go for a 50m zero: seems the most versatile for my needs.
Old October 20, 2014, 08:02 AM   #13
marine6680

Once you set the zero, check the impact for different ranges.

Most set a scope for 100 and then use clicks or holdovers. If you have a hashed or dot reticle it's easy. If not, and it's a simple reticle, setting it to 50 May be best for quick shots at different ranges in competition.
Old October 20, 2014, 03:09 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

I've been exploring the befuddling world of zero's, point blank ranges, 5" pipes and more in another thread, it features that same presentation.

I think I set my zero too far for my actual cartridges, so I am going to bring it closer to 20m, so that I have fewer adjustments to make out to 300m
Old October 22, 2014, 08:21 AM   #15
marine6680

You can test different zeros and find what works for you.
Old October 22, 2014, 04:21 PM   #16
Erno86

Watch out for Wolf's black box 308 in 150 grain...one shooter just had a case head separation, while using that make of round. He told me to stick with Wolf's Poly Performance 308 ammo in 147 grain.

I just had a squib load in my AK, using TulAmmo in 7.62x39...so be careful of using that brand of ammo as well.

--- George Orwell