The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 16, 2012, 03:15 PM   #26
Dragline45

Quote:
On a side note, the fact that you live in Philadelphia alone is reason enough to carry 24/7. I live just outside of the city, about 20 mins away, and I am planning to carry all the time myself.
+1

The town I live in is relatively safe also but it's only about 5 minutes outside the City of Boston and not even a 20 minute drive away is Dorchester Massachusetts, which has gang shootings just about weekly. My cousin does crime scene cleanup and was called in late last week to clean up after a shooting, while they were there cleaning a few blocks away another shooting occurred. A few weeks before that a car full of innocent girls was shot up during a drive by because one of the girls owed someone money. This is one of the reasons I carry daily, because even though the town I live in is relatively safe, those trigger happy criminals are but a short drive away. So I guess the point I'm trying to make is no matter how safe your town is, nothing is stopping these gang affiliated types from wandering in.
Old October 16, 2012, 03:46 PM   #27
YARDDOG(1)

Remember your firearm is the last resort, You might not have time to react to a situation & have to go H2H. Be careful & practice all you can, Stay vigillant ; )

Y/D
Old October 16, 2012, 04:23 PM   #28
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
There is no better drill to demonstrate how little time you have in a self-defense situation.
Yep. Just don't ask a former NFL linebacker to role-play the aggressor. It hurts

The interesting thing about the Tueller drill is that, even if I know the assailant is coming, he's physically on top of me by the time the muzzle's up, and it's usually touching his stomach or chest. If I wasn't expecting it, things would be different. This goes a long way to demonstrating the need for some degree of hand-to-hand training as well.
Old October 16, 2012, 05:01 PM   #29
NWPilgrim

I recently started carrying full time. My problem is I had never invested in the proper belt, holster and clothing to feel comfortable carry in all situations. I made it a priority this year to sort it out. I now have the proverbial box full of holsters and a couple that I like, I have some good gun belts, larger pants for IWB, and change from tucked in polo shirts to untucked Safari and fishing shirts.

I carry my G23 or G27 nearly everywhere appendix IWB or OWB. Not at the office because of corporate rules, but I also work from home a lot. I carry my P3AT in a pocket holster to church because the grandkids crawl all around us then. As they get older I'll carry the G27 even there.

It's great that you are looking for ways to increase your carry time. Make sure you have proper gear and equipment, then do the 48 challenge whether it is to carry more places or to carry loaded. I did it incrementally, too; as I got comfortable with one level of carry I then sought out where/how I could improve. The more you carry the more you realize other people do NOT scan you for you a gun on your hip. A few professionals or other CCW might be able to tell you carry but so what? The vast majority of the public is not even thinking in those terms. We are use to seeing people lug around medical devices, various holstered beepers and phones, folding knives, etc.

I think the first month or two I felt the most awkward, but now I feel naked without it. I used to think how great that would be to be able to walk around armed and now when I pull on my pants I see that holster and Glock and it is cool to be prepared to defend my family at all times. It is easier just to wear it at all time then to try to figure odds and when and when not to carry. If you are switching your carry in and out then sooner or later you will leave it behind when you normally wouldn't or you will underestimate the risk.

Could anyone have predicted eating at Luby's diner with their elderly parents would be dangerous? Attending classes at a high school or Virginia Tech? Working at a church office? Often, then very places we are conditioned to think of as safe is exactly where evil, twisted perps act out because they know it will be totally unexpected.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 16, 2012, 06:49 PM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPilgrim
. . . .The more you carry the more you realize other people do NOT scan you for you a gun on your hip. . . . .

I think the first month or two I felt the most awkward, but now I feel naked without it. . . . .
This is sooooo true. The first time I went to Wal-Mart, I kept expecting someone to scream "OHMYGAWDITSAMANWITHAGUN!!!" Now, I realize that as long as I carry something smaller than a Gatling gun under my coat, they're unlikely to notice.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:56 PM   #31
Joe_Pike

Quote:
For those of you out there who carry 24/7 is there EVER truly a time that you say to yourself there is no need to pack your sidearm...other than sleeping and showering?
Nope. You can not accurately predict when evil will come your way. Just ask all of those people that were at a Midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:08 PM   #32
Tinner666

Real life here. At least 5-6 times in 50+ years of carrying, if I had to put a round in the chamber first, I wouldn't be here. Things happen fast.
A couple of times at my shop. At home, I carried the trash out and was firing shots before I got it to the can. Stuff happens! Scary fast!
Helped LEO's make an arrest. Saw a man come up behind the LEO and pull a gun. Due to the situation, mine was already in my hand by my side.
At least 3 times as a RaC, BG's tried to get drop on me and store owner. We drew first.
ATM's? Wife gets out, I draw weapon then and 'guard' until she's finished.
Drawing isn't much of an issue though. See and feel the situation, place hand on weapon and start taking it out 1/2 second before it becomes a fast-draw event. I wish I could explain it better, but I can't. It's all about situational awareness.
Just a few real life events off the top of my mind. I bet my wife could cite a few more.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:46 PM   #33
Dragline45

Quote:
ATM's? Wife gets out, I draw weapon then and 'guard' until she's finished.
Really? Doesn't this seem a little excessive to stand guard with a drawn weapon every time your wife uses an ATM.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:07 PM   #34
drail

As a retired NRA instructor I think if you are uncomfortable carrying your gun in full ready condition and are not able and willing to react instinctively to a lethal threat with no hesitation then you should not have a gun. That's OK, you just need to do some soul searching and think about it until you are sure. Self defense isn't for everyone. (although it should be) Our classes always started out with a short discussion about being willing to take a life to defend your own and that decision has to be made before you get to that point. We told them that if anyone had any reservations or any doubt whatsoever about the gravity of the situation to simply leave the class and we would give a full refund for the course. Now you could see the gears going around in their heads but we never had one person ask for a refund. If a criminal sees any hesitation on your part they will attempt to disarm you. They can look in your eyes and tell if you really are willing to use a gun. They are predators and they know how this stuff works.

Last edited by drail; October 16, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:09 PM   #35
Tinner666

"Really? Doesn't this seem a little excessive to stand guard with a drawn weapon every time your wife uses an ATM."

I must need to elaborate. I stay in the car, weapon drawn from my 6, and ready at my side, out of sight. I don't stand there beside her with it in my hand.

If you knew the neighborhood, you'd probably ask why I'm not standing beside her with an AR, hand on trigger, and tactical gear on.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:10 PM   #36
orionengnr

Quote:
I have a mental stigma attached to carrying ALL the time. For instance when I take my 1 year old the the local playground (my neighborhood is very low crime), family get togethers, etc. I talk myself out of it because I assure myself there is no need to carry there.
When you are out with your defenseless child, or with your wife and other loved ones...what better time to be able to be able to protect the ones you love?
Old October 16, 2012, 08:42 PM   #37
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I have convinced myself that taking a second to rack the slide in a situation doesnt weigh as strong as having an accident with a loaded pistol.
As Tom said earlier, this is a training issue. If you need your gun, I would never count on having time to chamber a round. With proper training and a proper holster, you will not have an accidental misfire.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:07 PM   #38
WESHOOT2

I don't understand the question.

I wear at least one gun, except through metal detectors (and in the shower).
Old October 16, 2012, 09:12 PM   #39
Deja vu

I carry any where the law will allow. I typically carry 2 firearms. At first it is hard and you feel obvious. But over time it gets easier. I don't like Waist band carry. I carry mostly pocket. I also carry on a necklace holster and a shoulder holster.

When I carry a Semiautomatic I carry it with 1 in the chamber. I know some people dont like that but I think its the best way.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 16, 2012, 09:13 PM   #40
oneillba

First rule in a gun fight. Have a gun!
Old October 16, 2012, 09:52 PM   #41
Tinner666

Just thought I'd add someting about safe places and not needing a weapon.
Just in "Use caution if downtown. There two back-to-back armed robberies within 15 minutes. One on VCU Campus and the other off campus, but nearby."http://wtvr.com/2012/10/16/vcu-alert...e-park-campus/
We've only had about a dozen murders this month. My section of town has been described as Beruit. The campus area as upscale. You can never be too safe.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:55 PM   #42
Cheapshooter

Always carry. All the time. AT least something. If in a situation that requires the maximum of concealment, it may be my Elsie Pea in a DeSantis pocket holster. Most times it is either a KAHR CM9, or Springfield XD40 Subcompact.
Regardless of weapon, it is always loaded. By loaded I mean full magazine, and one in the tube. An empty chamber is an empty gun. You don't know when, where, or what circumstances might lead to an attack, and the assailant isn't going to wait for you to rack the slide.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 16, 2012, 11:39 PM   #43
wayneinFL

I did some work in Richmond a few years ago, and did some sightseeing while I was there. There are parts of that city that are downright scary. Until I worked that office, I didn't realize it was such a busy college town. What amazed me was that these college kids seemed so oblivious to the whole thing. The areas full of college kids just looked like easy money for thugs.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:31 AM   #44
StainlessSteel215

Once again, the comments are appreciated. After reading all of your posts it just confirms to me that I need to correct the issue and not ignore it. Thanks
Old October 17, 2012, 09:19 AM   #45
buckhorn_cortez

I rarely carry. I'm either at work - can't have a weapon on the premises. Or, I'm at home - lot's of weapons available - IF you can find the place, and get get past the 6-foot high fence.

The only time I have a gun with me at all times is on trips in my truck. If I have a gun, it's a semi-automatic, with one round in the chamber + two or more extra magazines.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:31 AM   #46
kinggabby

I am just shy of my one year of CCW . From the time I took my CCW class and when my permission card came in I carried when I was in my home. That way I could practice with my weapon . Bending over and reaching up. Also I practiced pulling my weapon from the holster ( unloaded at first) until I was comfortable knowing my booger hook was away from the trigger. I got my CCW back Dec. 2011 and the only time I do not carry is when I know it is illegal to do so ( Gov building or if I have to go into my daughters school) . If i don't have to go in those places then my weapon is with me. From day one I carried chambered (even though I was carrying a revolver) . Just recently I started to carry my semi ( just got a holster I felt comfortable with) . One in the pipe ready to go. For the next 2 weeks I have to be careful with clothing because it is a full size and OWB holster . Now come Nov 1st I won't have to worry about it being covered ( open carry in Oklahoma begins) .
Old October 17, 2012, 09:32 PM   #47
insomni

Quote:
from post #2
If your weak hand is immobilized it will be impossible to rack the slide one handed.
The Israelis have methods of racking pistols one handed, specifically because they carry with an empty chamber. There are a few of them, and they do work. The fastest one is racking it on the outside of your thigh/pantleg. It is inherently dangerous and therefore used for emergencies only, but it does work, and is actually quite fast when practiced [with safety being of the utmost concern]. There are a number of more complicated, but safer procedures as well for single handed operation.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:52 PM   #48
Chaz88

I think you will overcome your present concerns soon enough. Then you need to watch for a new problem. When you become too comfortable with CC and kind of forget that you can not carry everyplace you go. I have made it to the door of a few prohibited buildings and had to turn around and go back to the car to lock up my CC.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 18, 2012, 04:15 AM   #49
giaquir

I felt the same carrying my G26,
so I installed a siderlock trigger.
I practiced drawing and shooting
and find no issues or delays getting that gun
to go bang, but you have to practice.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:16 AM   #50
mrt949

When i started carry it was back in the 1980's with a ankle holster with a jennings 22lr.I DID NOT CARRY WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER . Now i carry IWB or POCKET LOADED .