The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2002, 03:22 PM   #1
Sport45

A couple of questions....

What are the barrel threads on a Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 mag revolver? I've got a barrel that won't thread in far enough to close the cylinder gap to .006", guessing .009" at best. I haven't (and really don't want to try) put a wrench on it, just hand tight. Thought it might help to chase the threads on the barrel, as my other barrels will run all the way down to the cylinder. The barrel nut WILL run to bottom on these threads.

Also, should a .22lr cartridge drop easily into the chambers on an Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8 revolver? I got the timing fixed, (thanks to George and Jim) but now I find it takes a bit of force to get the cartridges loaded. Just doesn't seem right. I've thoroughly cleaned the chambers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 14, 2002, 07:52 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First off, on the IJ, check to see that there is no damage to the edges of the chamber from dry firing the revolver out of time. If there is, you may have to run a .22 chambering reamer in or (carefully) use a pattern file to clean things up.

If there is no other problem, it is probably just that the bullets on the brand of ammo you are using are a bit on the large side. You might try another ammo brand.

On the DW, make sure the barrel is in the right way. I don't know the thread size on those (and don't have one to check), but a little tightening with a strap wrench shouldn't hurt anything and should give you the extra .003 with no problem.

Jim