The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Ever had malfunction at a wrong time?
Yes 3 15.00%
No 4 20.00%
Never been in any situation 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 15, 2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Firepower!

Did you ever have a malfunction in a situation?

Did any of you ever have malfunction in a real time situation where making shot or such was critical? This is not limited to malfunctions aganist hostile humans, but also includes hunting situations, etc.

What sort of malfunction?

How do you train to clear any malfunction under stress?
Old March 15, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Wagonman

Malfunction drills Malfunction drills Malfunction drills

Slap Rack Assess

Strip Rack Rack Rack Reload Rack Assess
Old March 15, 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Dwight55

I once had a holster for my 1911, . . . it was designed by a prominent maker, . . . paid good money for it too. The designer cut the inside just a little bit the wrong way, . . . it would pop the magazine slicker than Bill Clinton shedding the truth.

Went to close up the hen house (had been having racoon problems) and lo and behold, . . . two of em in the HH. Only got off one shot as the mag fell out just as I pulled the trigger the first time, . . . needless to say, . . . they both got away.

Got rid of the holster too.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 15, 2009, 04:36 PM   #4
12GaugeShuggoth

Technically speaking, yes. It wasn't a situation with human enemy combatants, and the malfunction wasn't really the guns' fault....but regardless it left me unarmed with two rabid pit bulls charging. Luckily the one shot I had made a pretty nice impression with doggy #1......dang near blew his leg off. Shotguns are effective.

Lesson learned that day: Always double check and make sure you know how much ammo you have. And in the face of danger, make your shots count. If I'd have missed that shot, I have no doubts that I'd have ended up severely hurt.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old March 15, 2009, 05:16 PM   #5
alberich

I never was, thanks God, in a life threatening situation, but I had probs with my pistol (bad chamber) for some time about 2 years ago, and about twice I had to clean an unexpected malfunction (not a part of a stage) during a IDPA competition.
I agree that the competition adrenaline is nothing compared to life or death fight, but I was able to react quickly and effectivelly thanks to my home training. I'd recommend to practice one universal drill for every situation, in my case it was "magazine out, clean the chamber by retracting slide, magazine in", until it's done automatically.