The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 11, 2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Road_Clam

My first steps towards high power shooting

There's been some good interest at my club with many folks wanting to get involved with H/P. Seems many are reluctant because of either bad eyes or simply "scared". One of our BOD members who is also a master H/P shooter has taken the initiative to bring totally new perspective HP shooters through a introductory 200 and 300 yd shoot. There was 4 of us whom have purchase (or in my case, built) match service rifles. So spent about an hour at 200 yds shooting off a bag to adjust my zero and learn the basics of sling prone. All's we did in this first day is just practice , no competition stresses and lots of specific questions asked and answered. I unfortunately have very nearsighted vision, shooting 200 yds was not a problem, but moving out to 300 the black gets very fuzzy and verifying my target lane is getting more difficult. I have a strong feeling I won't be able to safely shoot at 600. This is where the proposed CMP optic rule will help me substantially. Long story short, I had a great time learning the basics of HP. Myself being a civilian shooter with no prior marksmanship training now shooting reasonably through irons with bad eyes at 200 and 300 was a big accomplishment for me. All my shots for the day were inside scoring rings, granted many were not black , but again an accomplishment for a guy like me with my vision handicap. Another local club near me puts on a full blown hp clinic in April so I definitely plan on attending.

Last edited by Road_Clam; October 12, 2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old October 11, 2015, 02:22 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Congrads on taking that first step. HP shooting is great fun and unique challenge. Optic corrections [ eye glasses] for general vision may not be correct for rifle shooting. Getting the front sight in focus is critical and it may require a different correction. You actually need to focus about 30 inches beyond your front sight. This allows a balance between seeing a sharp front sight and still get some sort of bull to look at. Additionally there are some lens inserts that may improve the sight picture.
For now keep shooting from position regardless of the results. That's a learning experience of it's own. Attend the clinic. Lots of good info from those already in the game. Mainly, remember that you are the competition. No one can affect your score except you. The matches are really social events. Very few are concerned with winning. Most are there to try their best and enjoy a range day with others who like the same thing.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old October 11, 2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Jimro

Congrats!

Don't be afraid of 600. The target black is scaled for distance, so the only thing that is different is the elevation on your rear sight and how much windage you must account for, the sight picture is the same. Focus on that front sight post!

Good shooting!
Old October 12, 2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Road_Clam

Im shooting 600 yds scoped rifle fri afternoon so im going to bring my service rifle and practice sighting and dry fires. If I feel comfortable with lane recognition maybe dope up and take some shots. Im really concerned about cross shooting another target. The positive is the fact our club hp matches typically draw about 8 competitors and we have 24 lanes so If I can be isolated severall lanes from other shooters this will better allow me to isolate my target lane.
Old October 12, 2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Jimro

There are two types of HP competitors.... those that have shot cross target, and those who won't admit it.

Not saying to be cavalier, just that at some point it will happen so don't beat yourself up about it. One time it happened to me because I adjusted windage wrong, then held wrong, and the conditions changed to the exact opposite of what I thought I was shooting in, and I hit the target next to me in the white....

Still, beats golfing.
Old October 12, 2015, 02:02 PM   #6
4EVERM-14

Road-clam, Every High Master class shooter started out where you are now.
I know a Nationally ranked shot who said he fired five misses in his very first match. Years later while in contention for a National Trophy he cross fired.
Jimro is right. It could happen anytime. Good results or not, shooting is better then a good day at work.
Presidents 100
Old October 12, 2015, 02:07 PM   #7
Kosh75287

I guess crosslaning a round is sometimes a right of passage. I know that they SURE DO frown on it, in BOWLING! Just sayin...

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old October 12, 2015, 02:16 PM   #8
MrBorland

I shot a little HP starting about a year and a half ago, simply to improve my rifle shooting skills.

There are several local venues that host reduced course matches, and to date, I've only shot these, even though Camp Butner is also local and hosts regular 600 yard matches.

My point is that if you've got alternatives, there's no reason why you have to shoot a full 600 yard match until you're ready. Shooting reduced course matches is an excellent way to learn the game and improve your fundamentals before jumping into the deep end.

As far as cross shooting, I found a few things helpful: First, I found that if I establish a good NPA, I'm usually pointing at my target. Second, I try to set up close to the end of the line, rather than the middle. Finally, I note any unique physical feature that's behind my target, and I note how many targets I am from the closest end (easier to do if you're closer to the end of the line, which is why I try setting up there). Before settling in for the shot, then, I simply confirm "3rd from the right, oak tree above".
Old October 12, 2015, 02:39 PM   #9
BobCat45

Ok, I am nobody to be taking shooting advice from, except this:

Shoot Highpower, you'll love it! And the people you meet will be supportive instead of derisive if you aren't as skilled as they are. Shooting is only sport I've found that in.

So my point is that you can benefit a great deal from a corrective lens for your shooting eye.

Some people like Knobloch shooting glasses http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...yBody&c=OPEYKN and some people like Decot - http://sportglasses.com/ - with a blank (plano) lens in the off eye (and maybe a flip-down blinder; and a prescription lens in the shooting eye. Or something else, like a pair of glasses your normal optician makes for you but with the correct prescription in your aiming eye.

Note: I do not sell any of these, only passing on information.

My optometrist has me bring the rifle (cased) to her office and look through the sights while she tries different corrections.

If you have astigmatism your front post will appear curved, not straight. If it is straight, all you need is to figure the prescription.

These are two "sayings", one from a friend - a High Master:

Quote-------------------
My experience is if you add more than 1.25 you will not be able to see the bull at all.

If your ADD is 1.50 or greater
Take your prescription and add 1.00 to the 1st number (Most people like this one)
or
Take your prescription and add 1.25 to the 1st number

If your ADD is 1.25 or less
Take your prescription and add .75 to the 1st number
or
Take your prescription and add 1.00 to the 1st number
-----------------------------End Quote

And one from "the internet":

Quote-------------------------------
Take one half of your bifocal, subtract .25, and add that to your distance correction. You should have a focal point close to your front sight.
ie. I need a -1.25 diopters for distance. My bifocal is +2.00. Half is +1.00, subtract +.25, yields +.75. Applying that to my distance gives -.50 for my shooting glasses. I can focus on the front sight, and with the peephole effect (your rear aperture) I can see the target as a black blob on a off-white background.
------------------------------------------ End Quote

You may find it worthwhile to try stick-on readers (search that phrase on Amazon and you'll find them) - they are soft plastic lenses that will stick on a plain plastic safety glass lens, or on a spot on your regular glasses.

Remember, you only want enough to just make the front sight clear, any more magnification and the bull will be too fuzzy or it may disappear.

And as far as crossfiring - it will happen, it happens to everyone, and it will be a 10 or an X - I've never crossfired an 8 or a 9.

Have fun!
Old October 12, 2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Road_Clam

Today I did some more shooting off a rest simply for practicing and establishing a good line of sight , and I must say i'm actually doing pretty well for a half blind old guy. Not only am I trying to learn irons, i'm also trying to teach myself to shoot left handed to allow the use of my stronger left eye (shot with scopes RH for the past 16 years). I'm generally shooting mostly 7's a few 8's and an occasional 9. I'm shooting 200 meters at an MR52 reduced target. I think I need a thinner front sight post, as all's i'm using right now is millspec irons. I didn't want to invest in match sights until I was certain I could properly sight through irons. Now that I seem to shoot reasonable at 2 and 300 yds I might invest in a 1/4x1/4 moa match rear CH sight. Thanks for all the positive encouragement !
Old October 13, 2015, 02:09 PM   #11
4EVERM-14

This is the beginning of a long and enjoyable[yet sometimes frustrating] adventure. You will no doubt try many different techniques, equipment and gadgets. You'll get advice from everyone and in the end you'll develop a style of your very own. Good shooting on your journey.
Presidents 100