The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 9, 2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Gary Slider

Long Guns in Vehicles (Handgunlaw.us)

Again I want to say “Thank You” to all who contacted me or posted information for Long Guns in Vehicles. You made it so much easier. Thank You! I now have an entry for every state. I believe a few of them need a little work. Now I need feedback on all that I have. The finished product is still weeks away.

I also feel obligated to pass on some of my training with this new document. Pulling out any firearm and especially a long gun in a public place to defend yourself or others has grave risks. I have written up a one page document trying to get across that point. I am not a writer. I know some of you are. I am planning on just putting a link to that document in the Long Gun Listing if people wish to read it. Some may not agree with every word but all my training with Massad Ayoob, Ken Hackathorn, others plus my own words as a firearms instructor to students have molded my words. I also put my name to it.

Below are two links to that document. One is PDF file while the other is a Word file. If anyone would like to look them over and give me some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.
[email protected] Again I am not a writer and I have seen people write down the same thing I wanted to say but with a lot fewer words. Grammar and I never got along in my 63 years either.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...lfDefense.docx
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...elfDefense.pdf

The link to the newest draft of the Long Gun Laws is the same.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/L...ftDocument.pdf
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; November 9, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old November 10, 2014, 02:47 AM   #2
raimius

Gary, thanks for the work you do. Your site is incredibly useful as a planning and educational resource. It's kept me legal several times.
Old November 10, 2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Microgunner

Great information. Thank you.
Old November 10, 2014, 03:48 PM   #4
BobCat45

Thank you! This is very useful information.

The point you made about difficulty in finding out what is legal and what is not legal is very good. If it is legal, you will not find a law against it - but neither will you find it specifically stated it is legal.

I ran into this when you asked for people to let you know the situation in their states. I "knew" that it was legal to have a rifle in your truck/car in Texas - but only because everyone I know claimed that was the case. I could not find any laws about it to refer you to so I kept quiet.
Old November 11, 2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Romulus

Quote:
Grammar and I never got along
You're one of the few that uses the subject pronoun correctly. See, you do get along.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old November 11, 2014, 11:13 PM   #6
rwilson452

I'm always reminded of that famous quote ( I don't remember who said it) "When the law is mute, there is no law."

Meaning if there is no law against it, it must be legal. A lot of states make everything illegal then pass laws with exceptions to the law. Especially in the area of firearms. Here in PA they have at least three definitions as to what is a firearm. It can be confusing.