The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2010, 10:02 AM   #1
fishhead1

Frontier Rifle Brass?

Recently acquired a grab bag of "once fired" .243 Winchester rifle brass. Included was a number of cases manufactured by "Frontier". Am not familiar with this particular brand, and can find little info on the Web. Anyone had any experience with this brand of cases?
Old September 18, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

have used them in .308 Win, and .22-250. Frontier was the Hornady bargin ammo back in the 80s. I don't know if they still market the line, I haven't seen any in a long time.

The brass is good, (assuming yours is in good condition), and should last a normal number of loadings. Maybe even a bit more.

Case capacity for the .308s I have falls within the regular civilian range. So major load adjustment should not be needed. But, weigh a few,to be sure. Your lot may be different.
Old September 18, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Raven Armament

Frontier Cartridge was the loaded ammunition division of Hornady. They have since been merged with Hornady Mfg so they are one in the same.
Old September 18, 2010, 12:38 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
They have since been merged with Hornady Mfg so they are one in the same.
Very true, but it is still common to see "Frontier" stamped on Hornady factory cases.

Their "Metrics" line of rifle ammunition is an even more likely place to see the "Frontier" headstamp, as well as PPU, Graf, and several other manufacturers. One of my brothers, "Cornbush", even has 2 different head stamps in the same lot number, for his 7.7x58mm Jap. Close examination of the cases leads me to believe almost all of the metric brass is being produced by PPU, though (with different head stamps, of course).

Frontier rifle brass should be every bit as good as any other common, mid-grade head stamp (such as R-P, Win, G.F.L., etc).

Frontier pistol brass gets very mixed reviews. People love it, or hate it; rarely anything in between.
Old September 18, 2010, 08:16 PM   #5
fishhead1

Thanks for the good info, guys.
Old September 19, 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Bamashooter

i had a lot of frontier given to me by my uncle in 30-06. i have reloaded dozens and they are good brass.
Old September 19, 2010, 07:09 PM   #7
scottys1

When I bought my .243 used many years ago, it came with 6 boxes of Hornady ammo with a Frontier headstamp.

I've reloaded it a few times since then with no problems. It's as good as any other brass I've used.