The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 1999, 10:38 AM   #1
Bruegger

Has anyone tried out the Lee "Drive Key" shotgun slug molds? The design sounds interesting to me. http://www.leeprecision.com/catalog/...w.html#shotgun

According to the marketing information, "The Lee DRIVE KEY (patent rights reserved) slug is loaded in standard trap hull with standard wad and conventional folded crimp. Slug loads are produced with any standard shot shell reloading press. Lee Slug Mold features the exclusive drive key. The drive key positively rotates the slug in rifled shotgun barrels. The key doubles as a support rib allowing use of a standard trap wad - no need for a support wad or base filler. Sabot wad design outperforms rifled slugs in rifled slug barrels. Velocity and accuracy meet and exceed expensive factory loaded rifled slugs. Molds feature self centering automatic core pins for maximum speed and convenience."

Experience? Opinions?
Old October 8, 1999, 07:27 PM   #2
plateshooter

You have to use PURE lead in the slugs or you will hardly ever get them out of the mould. I've tried all kinds of mould releases, smoked the cavities etc. If you use pure lead, the mould works ok. They shoot rather well. I have taken several deer with them. I got the best accruacy using the cheap Remington black hulls. They seem to be tighter than the AAs, with the yellow AA wads. I use Blue Dot powder, but I can't recall the weight off hand. I also made up some lower velocity loads using a trap load volume of Red Dot, and the white AA wads. They crimp just like a trap load, are real accruate at 50 yds, and are easy on your arm.
Old October 9, 1999, 01:33 PM   #3
Contender

Plateshooter, Have you used them in a smoothbore barrel?
Old October 10, 1999, 12:57 AM   #4
Cat

I will echo the remarks of Plateshooter. I shot these slugs for accuracy in my smoothbore shotguns a few years ago and got good results with them. I also used the load data provided by Lee as well as my trap loads. Both shot well but to different points of impact. I never hunted with them.
Cat
Old October 10, 1999, 07:14 PM   #5
plateshooter

Contender:
I have used them in an 1187 Remington smooth bore barrel with a rifled choke tube, and a Winchester Defender with a barrel threaded for Rem choke tubes. I have never tried them in a fully rifled barrel, or shot them out of a full smooth bore barrel.