The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
cntryboy1289

question for all

I have a model 1911 Schmidt Ruben rifle that was having problems with being able to push the bolt handle closed. I was using a plastic faced hammer to drive it close trying to leave a mark to show me what might be wrong and guess what, the handle broke off on me. I didn't hit hard enough to break I thought, but it did.

Now, I can't get the bolt out of the gun. I broke off a wooden dowel that I use for stuff like this and I am waiting for a brass rod to come in to use to drive the bolt out of the gun. I can fix the bolt handle, but I am still perplexed about why it won't go closed. I have the thing back together correctly, but cannot figure out why the lugs want turn for me and let the handle push all the way in.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old November 8, 2005, 09:08 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good job in going from bad to worse!

First, did you remove the magazine? The magazine follower keeps the bolt from closing when the magazine is empty.

If that is not the problem, I assume you are not correct when you say you have the bolt back together correctly. That is a very simple bolt, but it is a bit tricky.

A properly assemble bolt ready for insertion looks like this:

Jim

Last edited by James K; October 15, 2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old November 8, 2005, 09:27 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

where did my pic come from

Well, that is how my bolt looks, exactly. As to the magazine follower, the bolt goes in and the handle just want rotate the locking lugs, it was only about 3/4" from being closed all the way, but yes I know you have to press the follower down to allow the bolt to go closed.

With my bolt, it is like something is stopping the lugs from rotating in their slot. The handle will go all the way in when disassembled from the bolt so that wasn't the problem. The bolt will go all the way in without the handle attached, so that isn't the problem. Put the two together and the lugs will rotate when I push on them, it just simply won't rotate by pushing the handle in like it is supposed to when it goes closed.
Old November 8, 2005, 11:40 PM   #4
mtnboomer

Sounds like the bolt assembly may be "out of time", possibly due to worn parts - or maybe a bolt that was assembled from misc. parts. Just a thought.

There is a dedicated thread for Swiss rifles over on Gunboards.com, I'm a member there and the people are very knowlegeable and informative.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old November 9, 2005, 03:24 AM   #5
cntryboy1289

question

I know the bolt has the same serial number stamped in it as the gun does, so could it be the lug piece could be my problem. I have had this gun for years, and have only had one misfire through that time. On that FTF, the bolt wasn't all the way closed I believe because when I pulled the firing pin ring back again, the gun still didn't fire and I had to hit the bolt handle firmly to get it to close. I think this was the beginning of when the bolt started having problems closing.

I can get the bolt out of the gun and I can fix the bolt handle, but I might need to get another lug piece. Do you know of anyone that might have bolt parts for sale? I would rather buy another bolt handle and would like to try another lug piece if I could just find them. Thanks for any help with this Mtnboomer.
Old November 9, 2005, 02:43 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Gun Parts Corp catalog shows the bolt handle (upper and lower) for $15.00 plus S&H. I once made a set out of aluminum for a 1911; made it look like a K31, but worked OK.

I am really puzzled now. I can't figure out what would be preventing the bolt from closing. I assume you have checked the receiver to make sure there is nothing in the lug seats to keep the bolt from closing. How about a burr on the cams in the bolt body?

I'll keep looking at the thing and thinking about it, and let you know if I come up with anything.

Jim
Old November 9, 2005, 07:48 PM   #7
cntryboy1289

Thanks

Thanks Jim and Mtboomer. I am just as puzzled about it myself. I have disassembled the bolt several times before the last time when I did the jeweling and know how to put it back together. I cannot feel a bur and have ran some cotton swabs in to the groove to check and didn't feel a drag anywhere. I checked with gunparts.com and the rod itself is on backorder. I might get another locking piece and see if that is the trouble.

I believe I can silver solder the rod back together without any problems and then repoliosh it. It is a cast steel in case you didn't know this. I might just repore one at a buddy's house. He has the casting material to make a cast of it for me. I can push the bolt all the way in by itself and the handle by itself all the way in. Put them together and the locking piece just can't be rotate by the handle going closed. I posted this over on the forum you mentioned to me Mtboomer. Maybe someone will have an idea of what is going over there. I will let you know if I get it to working.