The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 11, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
deerslayer303

FireWerks

I got my 54R head space gauges in from FireWerks. They are quick and simple to use. Made out of stainless. At 40 bucks for the set you really can't go wrong. And you don't have to remove the extractor to check head space. They are clearly etched for easy identification. Just a little thumbs up post for them. Every surplus shooter should at a minimum check the head space on an old rifle. Don't assume the seller does it or because a rifle has matching numbers that the head space is correct.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
noelf2

I get it, but I have never had a head space issue with mosins that were surplus C&R imports, where numbers matched (or were made to match / strikethrough, etc.) when rearsenaled. I've used the empty case with masking tape spacers, and the tire/duct tape/string method, but I'm at the point where I'll just do a empty case inspection for ominous indicators. Never get any. Not saying it's not the right thing to do, however, I don't recommend folks go getting head space gauges for everything they collect either. That's just me.
Old March 12, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
deerslayer303

I feel ya Noelf, I can definitely see where you are coming from. But I have a Type 53 that is a hodge podge of parts, nothing matches. So I have been scared to crack it off. But I checked it with the gauges, and yep, it passes with flying colors, go figure. But for being all mismatched, its in beautiful shape, I've never seen a bore as good as that 53 on a Nagant. But please post more of your empty case and masking tape method for us.