The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 20, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1
jimisbell

Stevens 820B problem?

I am repairing a Stevens 820B 12Ga. One of its several problems was the Slide Lock Spring, which had broken. I got the small piece that was hooked behind the pin out by grabbing it with pliers and bending it out. But putting the new one in presents another problem. I cant see how to get it back in without bending it and I dont want to bend a new spring. Is there a trick to getting the new slide lock spring installed?
Old May 21, 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Open up the loop that goes around the pin and slide it on , then squeeze the loop closed on the pin . I went a couple of rounds with one of those a couple of months ago . They are a son of a gun for sure , cheapest built gun you ever want to see !
Old May 21, 2012, 08:46 PM   #3
jimisbell

Thanks. That was what I was going to try but I didnt want to break the spring. Now I know it wont break I will continue forward. Hell, even if it broke, they are only $6.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
jimisbell

Broke the spring! Back to Popperts for another spring....

If this guy wasnt a friend I would give the gun back to him and ask him to never darken my door again.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:50 AM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
The springs I got from GunParts Corp didn't break when I bent them . I broke the first one too .
Old May 22, 2012, 04:52 PM   #6
jimisbell

Well, I am thinking about driving that pin out and then replacing it and peaning the end. It wont fall out because it is fully captured once assembled.