The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 26, 2008, 07:28 AM   #1
ChristopherG

I'm very new at this - couple questions!

I have been shooting guns for quite some time, but decided to get into black powder due to a surplus of the ol' Money.
I just ordered a Colt 1851 Navy, and I am very VERY excited about it but I'm realizing there is all these terms I am trying desperately to figure out. I have a couple quick questions,
Where can I get caps at? Do they sell them at just like Cabelas?
Can I just buy any powder, or are specific powders made for specific calibers/types of guns?
Last question is a little wierd but how old do you have to be to buy powder? I am 19 and I'm sure I can find a way to get it but I didn't know if it was a 21+ type of thing,(I live in the US Missouri specifically) and are there any age restrictions on caps? I have been trying to track down some bulk ones on the net and am coming up very short.

Thank you for your help! Hope to have alot of fun with this community
Old November 26, 2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Raider2000

As far as Powder is concerned, Either real black Powder in FFFG grade or Pyrodex P would be good to shoot in your revolver, you can also use 777 but it is a bit more touchy than the other two & I would advise against it till you get some experience shooting your new pistol.

Depending on the locality you may be able to buy Pyrodex P but don't quote me, your local dealer can help you in this because in some areas you may have to be 21.

Cabelas sells percussion caps & other supplies for your revolver but depending to where you live can be shipped to your home.

Good luck & welcome to the Firingline Forums.
Old November 26, 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
noelf2

Christopher - I believe 18 is the age restriction in MO. At least is was when I grew up there 30 years ago. You will find out soon enough when you go to purchase powder or primers. You should be able to pick up caps locally. Try Walmart, or any place that sells muzzle loaders. Real black powder is preferable, but hard to find. Pyrodex P is your best bet. Avoid the pelletized powder charges.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:40 AM   #4
grymster2007

Cabela's, as well as others sell caps online, but I think you'll need to pay a $20 Hazmat fee for each shipment.
Old November 26, 2008, 04:03 PM   #5
ChristopherG

Thank you!
There's a cabela's 10 minutes in one direction, and a Bass Pro 10 minutes in the other direction from my house. I think I'm gonna have my hand at Bass Pro and see if I can pick them up! Seriously, you guys are damn helpful. I was so lost!
Old November 27, 2008, 12:10 AM   #6
noelf2

If there's a bass pro near you, they usually carry black powder but it'll set you back 20 bucks. If you decide to get it, fffg is right for your gun.

You're not in Springfield are you?
Old November 27, 2008, 10:09 AM   #7
long rider

Wellcome to the dark side

You did not tell us if your smoke pole is BRASS or
steel , that will tell you how much you can load?

Shoot safe have fun.
Old November 27, 2008, 08:12 PM   #8
trekkie951

I have a somewhat related question. im pretty much the same as ChristopherG, except I ordered a Remington 1858 in .44. I live in upstate newyork, and I researched the laws and i found its perfectly legal for me to posess it and all. however if i fire it, its a felony. Why? well what i mean is what is the "proper licensing" that I need?
Old November 28, 2008, 01:32 AM   #9
arcticap

Evidently New Yorkers need a license to possess it when it's loaded even at the range, and it appears that a pistol possession permit is required just like for any other handgun.

Some of the details can be found on the page below:

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm