The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2008, 01:53 PM   #1
trash

Go toooo???.

As a new guy i need to break the ice and ask you ladies, and gentelman a question.

I have a DW 4" 357Mag.What is your favorate go to powder??.I would like a powder thats not so dirty as a LOT of factory stuff,with a little less smoke,if at all possable.I normaly shoot targets.Lead is going to be my bullet of choise.Copper is also going to be used sometime.The bullets are in 155-180GR.I like the Mag a lot,shoots where you point and is a pleasure to fire.
I live in bear country,and while fishing i will be loading 180s, for staying warm and fuzzy after a days fishing,lol. I also carry a 41 Mag,BH.also a great wepon to handle.A Glock 22 rounds out my small but to me very good guns.
I know that asking a lot to fit all of the guns in one powder,but,if possable??.
I shoot lead in the G22 also.I went and got a LW extended barrel for it.At 25yds it takes out the bulls eye so easy its boring.The stock barrel is not so good,i had trouble just keeping bullets on paper,at that distance.Thanks a lot for any imformation that can be of use.Iv been reading some of the older artickels and see that you people have a LOT of no how.Thanks again.trash
Old August 7, 2008, 03:35 PM   #2
BigJimP

My primary powder on all my handgun loads ( 9mm, .40, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag ) is Hodgdon TiteGroup.

It is a fast powder / and the min and max on published loads may only vary by 0.4 of a grain on some calibers and about 0.7 of a grain on .357 mag - so you have to be very precise and careful. But its a clean burning powder / consistent and accurate.

As a note: I like a .357 mag if I'm in black bear country 158 grain Montana Gold bullet ( usually CMJ )/ but I go to a .44 mag if I'm in Grizzly country...... and I like a 240 gr Montana Gold JHP.
Old August 7, 2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Lunicy

I use unique on my handgun loads, but that is just me. It helps that I bought 16lbs of it a while back. (when powder was cheaper.) It has proven to be very accurate in my guns. Every gun is different.
I also use bullseye in my pistols, but this is not for freshmen. It's a fast burning powder, and takes very little to do it's job. It's very easy to double charge a cartridge. That is a catastrophic boo-boo.
Old August 7, 2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Loader9

Might want to take a look at Accurate's AA#5. It'll do the 357 and the 41 in lead and jacketed bullets. It's also a ball powder so if you're using a powder measure, that's an advantage. My go to powder for 357 is H110 but for a 4" barrel it's gonna have a huge muzzle flash. I don't shoot lead bullets, only plated or jacketed.
Old August 7, 2008, 08:51 PM   #5
noelf2

Lunicy, it's not just you.

I reload 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, and 45 colt all with Unique. I'm still working on an old batch of Hercules Unique but have a pound of the new cleaner burning Alliant Unique as well. I also plan to start loading 9mm makarov and 380acp soon since factory ammo is getting ridiculous.
Old August 7, 2008, 10:06 PM   #6
mikenbarb

+1 BigJimP. I use TiteGroup and Bullseye for my 357 loads. I also tried Herco and it shot pretty well.
Old August 8, 2008, 09:24 AM   #7
SL1

Trash,

I think you are asking too much from one powder. Something that is clean-burning for low-power target loads is not going to give you enough power for heavy-bullet bear loads and vice-versa.

You can get away with 2 powders, one for light loads and one for heavy loads. If you want really light loads, then Bullseye is a pretty good choice, as are a few others that are about as fast and maybe a little cleaner or easier to meter. If you want medium power target loads, instead, then Unique, IMR-4756 or Power Pistol will give you clean burning and a little more power, but those powders become dirty at very light power levels. And, they don't give you the full power level you would want to defend yourself from an angry bear.

For full power with heavy bullets in magnum revolvers, SLOW pistol powders are the proper choice. WW-296 / Hodgdon H-110 or maybe Lil'gun will give you best velocity, but muzzle flash is pretty bad. Some slightly faster powders (e.g., Blue Dot) may give you almost as much power out of a short (4") barrel with less flash. I really don't know that from my own experience, because I shoot 6" barrels and longer, but I have read it. I have also read that Blue Dot sometimes gives unexpectedlyhgh pressures in some magnum loads. SO, look around for other choices before committing. Also, some folks think that muzzle flash is not so bad a thing when trying to convince a bear to stop charging. So, if it doesn't keep you from hitting your target, maybe you don't need to reduce it for your full power loads.

SL1
Old August 9, 2008, 09:46 AM   #8
trash

Thanks a lot for all the information.Any more ?.
SL1,you have been verry helpfull thanks.I really dont think that i need to worry about the bears,but,they have been known to get upset when suprised,or when cubs are about.Its more of a precaution than anything else.Also my wife feels better about having some fire power for the two legged preditors.She fishes alone a lot and its just the thing to do.thanks again Gents.trash.
Old August 9, 2008, 02:41 PM   #9
zxcvbob

With cast bullets I like Herco (but that is slowly being eclipsed by AA#7) and with jacketed bullets I like 2400. I don't use many jacket bullets.

If you want one powder to load both .357 Magnum and .38 Special, that would be either Unique or Bullseye.
Old August 9, 2008, 04:22 PM   #10
joneb

For now I'm using AA#5 for cast bullets in .357 mag. this powder works well in .38spl and .45acp. Unique dos not meter well in my powder throw and it did not burn clean for me lower pressures, AA#5 has been a suitable replacement.
For full power .357 mag. jacketed and hardcast I use AA#9 or 2400, I would think either of these two powders would work for the .41 mag. as well.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:48 AM   #11
SL1

"Bear Attacks"

Trash,

Maybe this is unnecessary info, since you said you were not really worried about bears. But, you also said your wife likes to fish alone, which is one of the best ways to have trouble with bears in some parts of this country.

So, I am suggesting that you pick up a copy of Stephen Herrero's book "Bear Attacks, Their Causes and Avoidance." Herrero compiled a list of bear attacks in the U.S. and Canada and analyzed them for a lot of factors that a hiker/fisherman can control. It does not deal with what kind of gun or load to choose to stop an attack once it starts, but it does suggest some good ways to avoid them or deal with them unarmed once a confrontation starts.

SL1
Old August 12, 2008, 12:37 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

in-betweeners

These choices can give all you've asked, except the highest (or slowest) safe velocities: Universal Clays, 3N37, N350, Power Pistol.

Short list, ay?
Old August 12, 2008, 06:43 PM   #13
scsov509

I use Power Pistol for .40 and .357 plinking, but my go-to all around powder is definitely Unique. It doesn't meter as well as Power Pistol or and of the AA powders, but I've found the variations to be too small to steer me in a different direction. I've also found it to burn a lot cleaner when you load it to higher velocity, and it definitely has the versatility to do a wide range of calibers. I don't have any experience loading in 41 mag, but I do use Unique in 44 Mag for target rounds and love the results. That's where I'd look if I wanted one single powder.