The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1
skeeter1

Polishing advice request

I have an old (~40 years) folding Gerber hunting knife that I finally found in a box with my camping equipment. After 20 years in the basement, the brass-and-teak bolsters have quite a bit of verdigris on the brass.

I have a Dremel tool with some felt wheels and some Simichrome polish. Would that work to clean it up?

I'm asking for advice because it was a gift from my late father and I don't want to mess it up.

Thank you for any advice.
Old January 26, 2007, 06:03 PM   #2
badbob

skeeter 1,
I've used semichrome on several Buck and Case folders and it worked well with just hand application. The dremmel might be faster but it might also be too aggressive for your application, IMHO. Try using it by hand first on the side next to the blade. Good luck.

badbob
Old January 26, 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Edward429451

I had ok results with simichrome and a felt wheel with my dremel, on the lowest possible speed. OTOH, I wasn't doing a sentimental object either so testing it on something else might be a good idea.
Old January 27, 2007, 03:52 PM   #4
skeeter1

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen

I tried polishing it by hand, but it was a little too far gone for that. So, I went with the Dremel on the lowest speed and just a smidgen of Simichrome. It came out fairly well for a 40-year old knife. That knife has field-dressed many a game, and was even used to chop firewood when backpacking.

That Gerber is a darned nice knife. Needless to say, it will NOT be going back into the basement. It will be going up into the safe where the dessicants live.

Thanks again

--skeeter1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knife.JPG (217.4 KB, 13 views)