The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Rodger Peterson

Powder measure suggestions

I am going to invest in a quality powder measure. I would appreciate an feedback from those of you using the Redding, RCBS, or Hornady brands. I've been eyeballing the Hornady unit, but really can't say why. I need to measure from 3.0 to 56. grains. I relize I may have to purchase inserts. I'm loading on a single stage press. Powders will be Unique, IMR4350, W231, W748, Blue Dot, W760, WSF. Thanks in advance.
Old March 19, 2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I use a RCBS Uniflo with small drum and micrometer spindle for most single stage loading. It does take two strokes to drop 50 grain rifle charges, though.
I have a Redding No 3 Master that is good on rifle loads but the insert with pistol plug was never very good. It did not fit well enough to keep granules from getting around the insert and binding up the rotation. So I put a metal hopper on it and use it for black.
The funny looking Bonanza does ok from about 8 grains up, I have not tried it with light target pistol loads.
Old March 19, 2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

For the money it's tough to beat a Uniflo.
I've run all the listed powders with the exception of the IMR4350 through my Uniflo with the standard cylinder and have no complaints. It's very repetative.
I've used a Redding and it is indeed a very nice measure. It's also close to double the cost of the Uniflo however.
No experience with Hornady's offering.

Take Care
Old March 19, 2005, 02:46 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

buy a good one

I have the Hornady/Pacific measure set up for handgun-only charge weight ranges.

Can bind a bit on AA9 LOL.

(I have fifteen Dillon measures; they can, too.)
Old March 19, 2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Dave R

I use a RCBS Uniflow with the small drum for pistol loads through .223. Its very accurate, even with big-flake powders like Unique.

For rifle loads, I use the large drum with the Uniflow. Also very accurate, even with stick powders like 4197 or IMR 4064.

I bought the Uniflow used. It came with the small drum. I called RCBS to order the big drum, and they sent it for free.
Old March 19, 2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've got a lot of loads through my Lee disk measure. It's always done fairly well by me.

I've also got my RCBS Uniflo, which is a great piece of equipment.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 19, 2005, 08:07 PM   #7
justnuts

I have a Hornady powder measure. It makes a fine door stop
Old March 19, 2005, 08:22 PM   #8
klw

If money is no object

Harrell's are unquestionably the best (http://www.harrellsprec.com/). I've got two. I've also had the others you mentioned.

It depends a bit on the application but Lyman's is fine. The RCBS units are certainly ok. The rest, well, I didn't care for them that much.
Old March 20, 2005, 09:57 PM   #9
Rodger Peterson

Thanks for the replies, looks like the Uniflo is getting the nod.
Old March 20, 2005, 10:28 PM   #10
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greeting's All-

I use a RCBS Uniflow, complete with a homemade baffle. I took
an old washer with 'bout a 5/16" hole (to control the powder flow)
and it works perfectly with all types of powders.

Best Wishes,
Old March 20, 2005, 10:40 PM   #11
Oldphart

Powder measure suggestions

Rodger, I'm sitting here looking at the latest Sinclair catalog. They devote a page to Harrell measures. As I read all the information there, I see stuff about "CNC machined aluminum body" and "needle bearings" and price tags that run from $173 to $234. What I don't see is any comparative claim regarding accuracy. While they do say the Harrell is accurate and repeatable, they don't say how accurate.
I have to admit that I've only used one brand of powder measure, but I've never seen any reason to change either. After a 'break-in' period, it now throws loads consistently within 0.1 grain of whatever load of whatever powder I happen to be using. Since I'm retired, I have the time to check more loads than you might, so I check about every third load. For the past year or so, I have rarely found any appreciable variation from my desired load.
I use one of those plastic POS's by Lee. It came with my original Anniversary kit and the only thing I've done is get a second one for smaller loads. Either one will measure large or small loads but making the adjustment is a pain. I can get ten of them for the price of one Harrell...
Old March 20, 2005, 10:54 PM   #12
Tim R

The RCBS Uniflow has served me well for the last twenty years. When I bought mine, they came with both the large rifle drum and the small pistol drum. I understand this is not the case any more but I also understand a call to RCBS will get you the other drum at no cost to you. Both are handy depending on what you are doing.
Old March 21, 2005, 03:33 AM   #13
CaseyC

Rodger,

I have a Hornady, a RCBS, and a Harrrell's. All three measure ball powder well, the Harrell's the most accurate of the three. None of them measure extruded powders well, the Harrell's being slightly better of the three. With stick powders, I set the charge .5-1gr lower and trickle the remainder.

Casey