The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 11, 2016, 11:03 AM   #26
Cheapshooter

Changing the grips to Pachmayr Diamond Pro might make a world of difference with the feel of th.e SP101. They really gave my Taurus PD Polly a much better feeling grip.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...101-7-02483.do
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 11, 2016, 04:31 PM   #27
TheFlash

I bought one of the Ruger SP-101s in 22LR with the intent of using it to teach my kids to shoot.
Prior to buying it, I tried the trigger on a .357 SP-101 in the local gun shop and it was rather good.
However, when I received the SP-101 .22LR, the trigger in DA was extremely heavy - must have been well beyond 13lbs. Even the SA trigger pull was probably closer to 7lbs.

So, I sold it to a friend who didn't mind the heavier trigger pull.
Then, bought a new S&W 63 which has a much better trigger.
Around that same time, a friend offered me an older minty S&W 63 with those early small wood stocks. Bought that one, too.

Keep in mind that I have several Ruger revolvers (Vaqueros and Blackhawks). But for a .22LR revolver, I would recommend going the S&W route rather than Ruger.
Stick with Ruger for single-action revolvers...
Old June 11, 2016, 11:28 PM   #28
BigJimP

Biggest negative to me is their triggers.....gritty ...not smooth. Personally I think their styling is a little clunky - and mechanically internally they are not nearly as refined as a S&W.

Pros: they're less expensive than the s&w....
Old June 12, 2016, 04:08 AM   #29
Homerboy

I've owned 2 GP100's, an SP101, and I currently own a Service Six and just got the SP101 in .22. Trigger is heavy on the .22 but not so heavy I can't shoot it well. It will be the gun I teach my son to shoot with. The S&W 617 was almost 200 bucks more and I didn't feel like it was worth the extra money.
Old June 12, 2016, 05:01 AM   #30
gyvel

Sole experience: Bought a new SP101 .22 in the 90s. Trigger locked up in rapid DA. Went back to Ruger THREE times for repair and never got fixed. Dumped it after that, End of story.

I have since heard of others who have had the same problem, so caveat emptor.
SIFE
Old June 12, 2016, 06:57 AM   #31
Targa

I really liked mine and to a certain point regret selling it but if I had to do it again I would have picked up a J frame Smith for CC and a GP100 for the night stand. Now, if I absolutely could only have one revolver for both personal and home defense the SP-101 would be my choice hands down.
Old June 12, 2016, 09:00 AM   #32
amd6547

The 3" 357mag SP101 I bought was very nice, and shot very well, with one big problem, for me. While very accurate, it did not shoot to point of aim. I had to aim high and right about 6" to hit the bullseye at 25yds.

I moved it on, and went to a 3" GP100 with fixed sights. This revolver does shoot to POA, and has a much better DA trigger.
Old June 12, 2016, 04:58 PM   #33
Homerboy

The SP101 .22 from the 90's is not the same one made today. Totally different animal. I only fired 300 rounds through my new SP101 .22 and I jacked some of those cylinders off as fast as I could. No problems at all.
Old June 13, 2016, 05:12 AM   #34
gyvel

Quote:
The SP101 .22 from the 90's is not the same one made today. Totally different animal. I only fired 300 rounds through my new SP101 .22 and I jacked some of those cylinders off as fast as I could. No problems at all.
What changes have been made? I was really thrilled about that .22, but it sure let me down and gave me a really bad taste for Ruger DA revolvers.
SIFE
Old June 13, 2016, 10:34 AM   #35
roaddog28

Overall they are not bad revolvers. Ruger is good about taking care of most problems. I have bought two new SP101 revolvers. One was a 22LR. The trigger was horrible. After putting over 500 rounds the trigger was not any better. The revolver worn a blister on my trigger finger after about 20 rounds in double action. I called Ruger twice and both times I got the same answer. Quote: this is normal with rimfire revolvers and will get better. I really did not want to do the wolf spring trigger job because if I did and still had problems Ruger would just put the original springs back in and not address the real problem. I sold the revolver for a loss.
The second SP101 was a 4.2 357. It had a decent trigger but heavy and was not a bad revolver. I sold it only because I was thinning down my collection.
My advice would be look the revolver over carefully before buying one. Rugers revolvers now a days have some problems with fit and finish. They are less expensive that S&W J frame revolvers. If you buy wisely like I said they are good revolvers.
Good luck,
Howard
Old June 13, 2016, 07:21 PM   #36
ThomasT

Quote:
That's the one statement I'll disagree with. In fact, I've yet to year one person who actually likes those grips.
Well then let me be the first. I love the ruger factory grips on both the 101 and the GP-100. I just bought a 4" GP off gunbroker and bought an older model because it had the original ruger grips over the new houge or whatever ruger is using. The original grips fit me perfectly. A 6" GP-100 was what I used for falling plate matches back in the early 1990s and I won a shelf full of thophies with that gun.

No, the SP-101 is not a front pocket gun. It is best carried in a holster. But I can put mine in my back pocket of my jeans and forget its there.

Quote:
They are less expensive that S&W J frame revolvers. If you buy wisely like I said they are good revolvers.
The S&W 642s and 442s can be bought for well under $400. Most SPs I have seen will go for around $500 even used. Best 500 bucks you will ever spend.
Old June 13, 2016, 09:20 PM   #37
Super Sneaky Steve

I have a 3". It's the only small gun that can shoot full power .357 Magnum loads, still be comfortable and not smash my primers.

It makes a perfect trail gun. I take it when hunting as a secondary weapon.
Old June 13, 2016, 10:48 PM   #38
Sequins

The two potential faults of the Ruger SP101 are the darned trigger, which while mine has improved is still not stellar, and the weight. It's just a tad heavy which might throw off some, but that's quite useful weight when it comes to shooting .357mag and having it last generations.

I shoot mine a lot and enjoy it. It fits in a pocket easily enough in my DeSantis Nemesis and the weight isn't really a problem for me, so far. I chose the Wiley Clapp model that has Novak sights rather than the fixed front and integral U-sight.
Old June 14, 2016, 08:55 AM   #39
scbair

I own a couple of hammerless snub SP101s in .357 mag, and one 4" .22LR. The rimfire trigger is necessarily heavier than the .357s, due to the greater firing pin impact needed to ignite the rimfire priming. That's OK; I got it strictly as a lower-cost trainer for the carry guns, and going from the heavy rimfire trigger to the centerfire triggers is "like dyin' and goin' to heaven." The triggers on all three have smoothed considerably with use. I won't install lightewr springs on a carry gun, as I want the greatest possible ignition reliability, Better to use grip exercisers ....

Never had a single problem with any of my SP101s (nor with any other Ruger, come to think of it). I have replaced the grips with Hogue rubber grips, and have some Hogue checkered wood grips ordered.

I cobbled up a leather pocket holster, and pocket carry one of the snub .357s daily. The weight makes this the smallest and lightest revolver I can control with full-house .357 mag loads (Federal or Remington 125 gr. SJHPs).

I can't think of any cons other than the 5-shot capacity, but I figure I'll likely have won or lost before I need more rounds, anyway.