The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 3, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
cobywallice

first gun refinish

i have done some research and have found that brownell have some really nice spray on finishes for a feg hp clone that i purchased as a project gun. the finish requires some oven time to preheat and to cure after spraying.

my question is can i use my kitchen oven for this?

thanks for your help and replies
Old December 3, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
logeorge

Bake on finish

I used the kitchen oven to bake on Brownell's Gun-Kote. It worked just fine, but it's best to do it while the wife is away and you have time to air out the house. Redneck women seem to get a little testy when you stink up their kitchen!! I didn't think it was that bad. Her opinioin was different!! L. O. G.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
cobywallice

that is one of the finishes i was looking at. how did it turn out and how long did the finish last
Old December 5, 2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Scorch

Brownells sells baking lacquer as well as GunKote spray on/bake finishes. I like GunKote, but if the gun is going to be used hard the Baking Lacquer is tough to beat. I had to remove some from a gun once, and it took abrasive blasting to get it off.

And yes, the kitchen oven will work (if the wife's away).
Old December 15, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5
publius

Are you married?
Old December 16, 2012, 07:02 AM   #6
cobywallice

Yes
Old December 16, 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Mac's!

Yes, you can use the kitchen oven as long as your significant other is gone for the day and you use lots of ventilation during/after and you clean the oven afterwards. Those types of finishes not only produce some nasty fumes while curing, they will also do a thing called "Solids Transfer". The curing vapors will deposit solid material onto the surfaces of the oven. The next time the oven is used, some of those solids can transfer back onto the next thing being "cured"...like the pizza.

The oven in my shop that I use for curing finishes is huge. It's a recirculating type. It has blowers that keep air moving around inside of it while curing. Some "old" air is pushed out while new air is being pulled in. I still have to wipe down the inner surfaces once in a while to prevent build-up. It gets thick. Yeah, there's a LOT of parts cured in that oven but any at all on the family dinner is to much.

Use lot's of ventilation while curing and afterwards. The fumes are pretty bad. Last but not least: Watch for the cops! Everybody knows that meth-labs give off nasty odors. heh heh. Firearms finishes smell pretty strong while curing. You may not notice it but a (..Wait for it...!..) nosy neighbor may think you're cooking something illegal. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com