The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2012, 12:21 PM   #51
SEHunter

wow, thats pretty neat. First time i have seen that. How long does the foam last until it needs replacement? Obviously by now, you have confirmed it doesnt contaminate the cases.
Old November 13, 2012, 02:03 PM   #52
temmi

I Full Length Size all brass

If you get good dies it is really not a big deal

I will pick the reliability of a Full Length Seized round over even a .25 inch gain

Most of my rounds will print 1MOA (at bench) in mine or my sons guns

BTW

We do not always shoot MOA

But I don't think it is the Ammo

Snake
Old November 13, 2012, 02:11 PM   #53
Bart B.

SEHunter, the foam in my lube cans life span depended on the quality of the foam itself. Most foam used lasted a couple thousand rounds of tumbling. Once or twice it was pretty soft stuff and started going to shreds in a hundred or two cases used; about four 50-round loads.

The case lube used may also effect the foam's life. All I ever used was STP/Hoppies 60/40. Other lubes may have something that attacks the foam.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:14 PM   #54
tobnpr

Quote:
What is the prefered way to lube for the FL? i have always used one shot but some say to not lube the shoulder. If its a light coat, is it ok? I usually make one or two passes with the aerosol can on opposite sides.
Exactly. Be sure to angle the spray to get an adequate amount into the necks.
I chuck 50 cases into the loading block, spray em, let them sit a few minutes for the solvent to evaporate, run them through the press. Never had a case get stuck. But, I don't force them if I run into an issue. If I failed to get enough lube into the necks, it'll be apparent on the first case or two. I back it out, re-spray the rack, and then move on. I don't care how many clowns here wanna knock One-Shot...I run 300-400 large centerfires in a night and have no issues with the stuff. Far as I'm concerned, lube pads belong in the closet along with a Commodore 64.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:34 PM   #55
SEHunter

I have several cans left so i will probably use them. Hate to be wasteful. I havnt had an issue before either as far as stuck cases or denting shoulders go.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:03 PM   #56
loademwell

Hay Bart,, What is this foam you are using? Didn't understand this part....

May have to take your design. I like making tools. Then I know how to fix them when something goes wrong?

Have any more pics of this tumbler? Inside the cans "Foam" stuff would be nice.

You tumble with media in one and this foam in the other? What does the foam do?
Old November 14, 2012, 02:21 PM   #57
Bart B.

loademwell, the foam (available at hobby and arts supply stores; I got mine at a garage sale years ago) is about 1/2 inch thick. Lining a coffee can with it makes a nice thing to tumble clean cases in to lube them. I put half a dozen or so drops of my case lube on it then dump in enough cases to make it half full.

It's soft enough to let a .308 Win. case fall into it while tumbling in the can and let the case lube get on the case. After several minutes of tumbling, the amount of lube on all the cases is very uniform; both across all the cases as well as all over the case itself. All the cases have the same lubricity as they start into the full length sizing die. A bunch of full length sized cases' headspace has a spread of less than 2 thousandths of an inch.

Here's a picture showing both the cleaning and lubing cans and their liners.

On the left is the 1/8 thick black closed cell foam liner that goes in the can next to it. The black round liner goes in the end of the can. After my tumbling media's put in, these liners prevent the metal can from scratching the cases. And it makes for much, much quieter tumbling cases to clean them inside and out.

On the right's the 1/2 inch thick beige colored open cell foam liner that goes into the lubing can. There's a blue rubber round piece that goes in before the foam so the cases won't get scratched by the can on its bottom as well as quiet it down.

The top covers are not shown.

PS: I get a lot of comments on the bright colored square hard foam pads on my shop floor, but they do keep things in good shape when I drop them on it. Much better than the concrete below them.