The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 25, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Texas Rifleman

CZ-75B Detail Strip/Parts/Needs Fixing

I have a CZ-75B that I detail stripped succesfully. It was much easier than I anticipated (I did not disassemble the trigger group). When I put everything back together I noticed the trigger lost it's double action capability. I then noticed that the trigger bar spring wasn't applying any pressure to the trigger bar. I guess I assembled the trigger bar incorrectly (although I just assembled it in the reverse). I started disassembling the gun again to see what I may have done wrong. I got to the part where I needed to remove the magazine catch spring screw. I lined up my screwdriver squarely, turned counter clockwise and the screw twisted in half very easily. It just broke in two. It is now broken inside the frame. The head came off. I cannot find that part on CZ-USA's website or even CZCustom. I'm going to have to drill out the old screw. Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

Last edited by Texas Rifleman; February 25, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
qcpunk

Well, there's no doubt you'll have to drill out that screw then use an extractor. But as far as a replacement screw, you might have to look into one of those Gun Smithing Screw sets. I believe Midway carries them. Another suggestion, I don't know about where you live, but around Phoenix we have a specialty hardware store Copper State Nut & Bolt. They carry damn near everything in damn near every size. I think there is one in El Paso if you're in Texas. You might try giving them a call with as much info as possible??

I'm really sorry to hear about your unforunate luck.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Texas Rifleman

I drilled a hole into the screw and used an extractor...but the extractor broke off into the gun as well. I think I'm going to have to take it in to Briley's.
Old February 27, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4
spencerhut

If I recall correctly the CZ grip screws that I replaced were all metric. So the screw that snapped off on you is likely metric too.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Texas Rifleman

I sent the gun to CZ last night. Their customer service was very friendly. They said to send it in and gave me a repair authorization number. It cost $50 to ship it via FedEx, though! They never said whether or not the repair would cost me anything??? I wonder how that works.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:21 AM   #6
rodent.22

Like all the service departments- they look and THEN quote you a price.....
Old March 13, 2010, 02:49 AM   #7
armoredman

CZ-USA will treat you fairly, and without snickering.
As another poster said, too bad you're not in the Phoenix area, but not for the shop he quoted - Angus Hobdells' czcustom.com is here, THE custom shop for all things CZ. He's also CZ-USA's top competetive shooter.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:20 PM   #8
qcpunk

armoredman, Thanks dude!! I had no idea CZ Custom was local, now you got me thinkin.....TRIGGER JOB!! hahaha
Old March 16, 2010, 01:19 PM   #9
armoredman

Drop by his store, he's about 5 minutes from Banner Desert Hospital off the 60. Call first, though. The trip is worth it.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:02 PM   #10
qcpunk

Again, Thanks ArmoredMan, greatly appreciated. I shall buy you a beer should we ever find ourselves in such a situation
Old March 22, 2010, 01:02 AM   #11
armoredman

Alaskan Amber or Tap Room 21 Moes' Backroom Amber Ale. In strict moderation, of course.
Old March 24, 2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Texas Rifleman

CZ sent me a post card that said it would take 4-6 weeks to fix and not to call them until it has been at least 4 weeks.
Old March 24, 2010, 10:29 AM   #13
CowTowner

At least they did communicate with you. And it seems they can fix it too!
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 24, 2010, 11:23 AM   #14
Texas Rifleman

For sure! I'm not upset with CZ, I'm just going to miss my pistol. I've heard they have stellar CS.
Old March 24, 2010, 07:04 PM   #15
qcpunk

Good to hear that Texas. I've also heard good things about their CS and I'm confident they'll have you fixed up and ready to go in no time. Glad things are on track for ya.... keep us updated on the results

Trying to avoid hijacking here....
Armored....Are you a mind reader or something?? Alaska Amber and Anchor Steam are my Brews of choice. Which side of the valley are you on?