The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 5, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1
delsol

Twenty Two

All I have is two 22 pistols & one rifle. My question is what 22 shell would be good for home defense if that's all you have. I'm wanting to move up to a 40 or 45 but for now that's all I have.
Del
Old March 6, 2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Prof Young

I'm no pro but . . .

I"m no pro but some where I saw advertised a 22lr that fragmented into three pieces on impact. I'd think that would be the best you could do with a 22 for self defense. Other than that I'd look for a hollow point like the yellow jacket or other.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 6, 2013, 01:09 AM   #3
eman

I would go with solid points for more penetration and a better chance to hit vital organs especially going through clothing, I think the hollow points will expand too soon and not hit vital organs.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Water-Man

I doubt you'll find any but the CCI Stinger & CCI Velocitor ammo is what I prefer.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:54 AM   #5
delsol

I want to thank everyone so far but I've been thinking about the cci stringer.( if I can find them ) I just want the best 22 ammo in my gun for the just in case.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
bonefamily

Second the CCI stuff.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
dos0711

Keep your eyes peeled. I scored 900 rounds of CCi Stingers from Gander Mountain...
Old March 6, 2013, 03:42 PM   #8
DaleA

CCI because of their reputation for reliability.

Cheap and low cost .22 LR (which I use a lot for plinking and informal target shooting) does not always go bang when fired. But even with CCI I get an occasional failure to fire.

Also make sure your firearms will handle the CCI Stingers.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

CCI brand for sure. But what particular round is dependant on what functions 100% reliably, and is accurate in your gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 6, 2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Mauser8mm

CCI Copper Hollow Points

CCI Copper Hollow Points

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 6, 2013, 09:42 PM   #11
drail

If you can place a round in the brainpain any .22 will work.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Brian48

I like CCI Stingers or Velocitors too, but if shot from a pistol, I might opt for regular CCI Mini-mags instead. In the end, I second the advice of using what is most reliable in your gun.

A .22lr is obviously better than nothing, but I'm sure if an intruder comes in, he/she is not going to want to stick around once the shots start flying regardless of whatever caliber you're using.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:57 PM   #13
mete

CCI SGB is a lot more effective then people think !!
22s also have a reputation for deflecting in the body so they can bounce around ,hard to tell where they'll go.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Lamar Jr

CCI Velocitor

CCI Velocitor is the heaviest high velocity round available in 22lr. If a 22 is what you have to shoot, this is round you want.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:35 AM   #15
CajunBass

My advice is stick with solids for penetration. CCI for brand as long as they work in your gun.

I've never seen a gun they didn't work in, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there somewhere.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 7, 2013, 07:49 AM   #16
kutz

CCI
Old March 7, 2013, 10:22 AM   #17
vba

CCI Small Game Bullet (SGB) would be my first choice as it is high velocity and has a small meplat.

Number two would be CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain solids and number three Velocitors.

I've also found that Federal 36 grain HP 525 bulk from Walmart is very reliable, but being an HP it would not be my first choice for defense. I strongly believe that HP .22 LR's would not offer enough penetration with the possible exception of Velocitors.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:35 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

Go with solids, not hollow points. .22 hollow points are designed to expand on very small game, like squirrels and rabbits and will not penetrate enough to do serious injury to a larger animal.

Jim
Old March 7, 2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Salmoneye

Any 40gr 'High Velocity' solid is your best bet...

Stay away from hyper-velocity frangible (read hollow point) bullets...
Old March 7, 2013, 06:12 PM   #20
lwb

I carry a 22 for sd,not because its all I have but because it it what I shoot the best.Loaded with cci quik shok,breaks into 3 parts.First 3 are quik shok next 6 are cci solid. The quik shok do a job on ground hogs and I know I wouldnt want to be shot with one.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:06 PM   #21
SerenityNetworks

I'm not a ballistician nor have I ever tried to measure the depth of bullet penetration on animals or gel. But as a funeral director I once buried a man shot with a .22. The bullet penetrated a mid-weight winter jacket (denim and fleese), shirt, t-shirt, and sternum. Whether it was the bullet, bullet fragments, &/or bone fragments impacting the heart and major vessels doesn't matter. The man died. I don't know if it was a hollow point or not, although considering the man, the decade, the lifestyle, and intended use of the rifle it is highly likely that it was a hollow point. Most everyone I knew and shot with used Winchester Super-X hollow points. I buried men shot with .22 ammo in other more susceptable locations of the body. But it was the shot through the sternum that to this day has me convinced that a .22 has enough 'penetrating power' to kill and should never be trivialized.

Regards,
Andrew
Old March 8, 2013, 04:23 PM   #22
L_Killkenny

You don't say which .22's you have so it's real hard to tell you what to use. My first recommendation is always the Velocitors if your gun handles em. Never met a 10/22 that didn't like em but they seem a bit too much for both my .22 semi handguns (1 Bersa, the other Ruger). They're fine in any revolver. My next option had always been the CCI MiniMags. As much for reliability as for performance. Low on my list are the Stingers and segmented rounds.

HP vs. Solid......... Either the MiniMag or Velocitor has enough penetration at HD ranges. They aren't gonna blow a big hole out the backside of a BG but makin it to vitals and beyond ain't an issue. From a rifle they can and sometimes will expand into a nice pretty mushroom. Just as many times though they will not do much more than flatten and tweek the nose a good bit. Expansion and/or deformation is even less in a handgun. Solids don't do much of anything and their RN makes them (or any cartridge/caliber) even worse for killin things. The Stingers and segmented rounds mentioned above are another story. They can and do come apart with very little effort and sometimes don't make it to the vitals of bigger varmints let alone on a man. Save them for gophers and choose something better.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:02 PM   #23
KO3422

CCI Stingers gets my vote. If you find them, let me know.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:23 PM   #24
TheNocturnus

Any good 40gr solid point would be fine. Just shoot for CM and hope for the best. Come to think of it, that is the same rule for any caliber in a SD shooting.

A 22 is better than nothing man, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be shot by one.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old March 8, 2013, 06:41 PM   #25
Eagleks

defensively ..... CCI .