The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 30, 2011, 06:10 PM   #76
kgpcr

Old Bear there are a lot of really paranoid people here. If i have to worry about danger behind every corner then i need to move.
Smith M&P 40
Old October 30, 2011, 07:00 PM   #77
MLeake

I have never heard of BG's anyplace I've lived dressing as FedEx or UPS guys, and driving a FedEx or UPS vehicle.

I have a cousin, however, who did have a visit from a guy who had an official looking floral delivery van - the guy turned out to have been a serial rapist, who had raped four or five women in her area by pretending to be lost, and looking for the correct address, and wanting to use the phone (this was pre-cell phone days).

Women would let the guy in to use the phone, whereupon he'd attack them.

My cousin got lucky - her german shepherd took an immediate dislike to this guy, and he took off. My cousin learned about the serial rapes later that day. She told her husband what had happened, and he insisted she call the cops. When she did, she was surprised when multiple patrol cars came; officers then told her about the other women this guy had visited.

This happened in a nice, wooded suburb of Worcester, MA, back in the 80's. Nobody would have thought to move to a nicer neighborhood, as it was in fact a nice neighborhood.

Dirtbags sometimes drive to nice neighborhoods. Sometimes, they even live in them.

Check out a sex offender registry sometime, and see who lives within a couple blocks...
Old October 31, 2011, 06:51 PM   #78
m&p45acp10+1

I personaly awnser the door for the delivery guys. Usualy it is UPS delivering my midway order. The GSA I tried to hide from the adorable little robbers. I realy did try. My dog sniched me out. I end up with 2 or 3 over priced boxes of cookies every time they show up at my door. What is even worse is last time I went to Cabella's there was an army of them at the door selling cookies. So I gave my harshes look, and the usual awnser of "of course I want to buy some cookies. Two boxes of lemon creams please."
Old October 31, 2011, 07:44 PM   #79
BGutzman

Since my CCW weapon is on me 98% of the time Im awake its not too difficult a choice.

If Im expecting a package then I open the door and sign for it, if Im not than I answer the door with my foot and knee bracing the door. More then likely the Fedex guy is looking for one of my neighbors...

If its yo homes and the crew it will be dealt with with or without force depending on how the situation evolves. If they simply leave then its a call to the police, if they attempt to break in by force or attempt to over power me then Im looking for the elements the law requires.

Most likely it might require deadly force but I dont want to assume automatically that it would.

If it requires deadly force then I do my best to stop them with the minimum force necessary to stop the life threatening immediate attack.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:44 AM   #80
C0untZer0

The whole premise of this thread made me wonder how many people were answering the door armed yesterday.

Big "trick or treaters" don't get candy they get a gun in their face and then they get interrogated.

"Are you really a trick or treater, or are you casing my house?"

I mean if someone suspects the FedEx delivery guy, what could be a better cover than a halloween costume?
Old November 1, 2011, 08:08 AM   #81
Stressfire

Quote:
The whole premise of this thread made me wonder how many people were answering the door armed yesterday.
Funny you mention that. Had to work late last night and the little woman had specific instructions not to go outside to take the dog out after dark. Our city did their trick or treating last night and it is typical for the 16-20 year old crowd to not only do so, but also to stay out much later causing trouble.

I think she could handle 1 with no problem, but a group with a gang mentality going...I'd rather not take the chance. Can only hypothesize what would occur should I ever come home to that and none of the outcomes are good - for anyone
Old November 19, 2011, 07:48 AM   #82
ClayInTx

Several years ago in a rural area where “nothing bad ever happens here and we sleep with our doors unlocked” an entire family was murdered. Donaldsonville, Georgia, 1975 IIRC, if you want to check it out.

That changed the attitude and practices of everyone there.

When abroad I carry concealed. At home I have a .357 holstered on my waist and visible. When I answer the door the family, neighbors, and friends know they’re not likely to get shot (well, a couple of them might worry a bit).

Horse meat peddlers and used motor oil pavers don’t hang around after a plain “NO”.

I suppose word got around because it’s been years since one showed up.

The Jehovah’s Witness have all been women. I invite them to sit on the porch, offer coffee, tea, or Coke (the drink) and talk to them. I’m a single male so I hesitate to invite them in; the porch is huge with nice tables, over head fans, and padded chairs. Being Texans, the gun doesn’t seem to bother them; they're likely carrying too. I like to hear what they have to say and, generally, have an interesting conversation although I make known that I’ll not join their denomination. Their pamphlets do have some interesting articles which many times make sense.

Also, they’re usually my age but none have said they’re single and rich so I don’t push that line. Now if one shows up who IS single and rich....

And has a nice boat, motor, and trailer….

For the Irishman who asked if it’s really that bad here:
As one responded; this is a gun forum so a lot of gun talk gets discussed here and preparation for self defense. There are many who carry but don’t post on these forums but it’s known that a high percent of the people are armed.
No, it’s not that bad here and those are the reasons why.

As for door knockers, the ones who really scare me are the Girls Scouts. They’re robbing me blind.
Old November 22, 2011, 03:55 AM   #83
1stADCombatVet

Being as even when i am at home, as long as I have my clothes on, my weapon is on me, I would go answer the door, of course I would have my left hand close to my weapon, this is the way i always answer the door, as it has become second nature to me. Everyone who knows me knows I have it on me, including our UPS, and Fed-Ex drivers, who I have been dealing with for years and know by name, usually hollers and tells me who it is as soon as they hear me coming to the door.

Tags
ccw , delivery , firearm , home