The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
losixxx

Ithaca model 37 12 GA

I have a 12 GA Ithaca and I belive it to be a 1947 hear is the information I have

Ithaca model 37, pat no, 1849982, full choke, serial number 155581, the barrel has a 4 with a line out to the side and the serial number is under that

waterfowl engraving,ribbed pump, barrel is 29 1/2" long

Hears my question do I have the date right? as it is 1947

Why can I not find the 12 GA on the web what I do find is very little to nothing?

Is this a possible specail order during that time?

Thanks for any and all information
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0397.JPG (220.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0405.JPG (209.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0406.JPG (207.7 KB, 152 views)
Old January 21, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
drcook

1947 is correct. here is a link to serial nbrs by dates on the Ithacagun website

http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf

what you have is a nice old, late 40's Ithaca 37 12ga. Well worth hanging on to.

did you measure that 29 1/2 from the front of the reciever ? if so, then that is a 30" barrel (measured overall).

The barrels on Ithacas became interchangeable after serial nbr 855,000.

Prior to that, they were individually fitted to each reciever. If you look at the front flat of the reciever, next to the barrel, you will see the matching serial nbr. The barrel is serial nbr'ed to the reciever, often times/mostly with a -2 -4 etc indicating the choke, along with Full, Mod ImpC etc.

The magazine nut turns to the right to loosen. Do not use pliers on it. The style of barrel nut you have is hard to come by. I do know where there are some pristine ones if someone took a pliers to yours in the past.

DO NOT try to put a new(er) barrel into your reciever, it will ruin it. Pre 855,000 the "interupted threads" that allow the barrel to come off, actually had a pitch to them. Post 855,000 are straight cut, with dimensional interchangeability from gun to gun.

The reciever is unique to the 12ga size, the 16's and 20's are built on their own frame.

used barrels can be found, but they have to be fitted by a gunsmith familiar with the design,

http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/ is operated by the former head gunsmith of Ithaca before they were bought out and moved to Ohio. He specializes in the old guns.

Don't cut your original barrel back, take the time to find a takeoff and have it fitted. That way you will preserve the collector value of the gun. Same with the buttstock. There are some old buttstocks on eBay and gunbroker if you want to have a recoil pad put on. I also know where to get semi-inletted new ones.

what kind of questions do you have ?

Last edited by drcook; January 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
PetahW

It looks like you have what was marketed as a Field Grade / Waterfowler gun - IOW, a somewhat specialized repeater for longer-range waterfowl hunting/shooting, like pass-shooting Duck and/or Goose (A popular hunting pastime after WWII).

It wouldn't have been a "special order" gun, by any means - just a different model than the rest of the Model 37 line at the time - although since a dealer might not normally carry that model, if a customer wanted one, it would have to be ordered through some wholesaler, etc.

There's no special collector's value attributed to it (over/above most other M37's in like condition), so use it as you wish, or alter it if you want, since the value wouldn't change very much no matter - just be aware that if the barrel's shortened, you'll lose any choking, ending up with a cylinder bore (best suitable for close shooting, deer slugs with sights, or HD).

Also FYI - Model 37's of that age are susceptible to jamming if "short-stroked", so pump it like you mean it (or it owes you money ).

AND, since they had no disconnector, if the trigger's held back and the slide handle's pumped vigorously, the gun will "slamfire" every time it's pumped - permitting very rapid fire, indeed.

Last edited by PetahW; January 21, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:54 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

The early Ithaca Model 37's actually had a second sear that released the hammer when the bolt locked into battery.

The second sear only came into use when the trigger was held back and the gun was operated. More of a pumpfire and not a slamfire.

Note the Winchester Model 12 would do the same if the trigger was held back. I do not know of any other mfgr's that will do the pumpfire.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Winchester Model 97's and Stevens 520-30's will. Having played with that feature using a Pact timer against Pepper Poppers I found it to actually be more effective (read: less misses, and you can't miss fast enough) to take your finger off the trigger between shots.

Nice '37, losixxx. Those are great handling pumps. I picked one up cheap about ten years ago and I love it.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:49 PM   #6
drcook

Quote:
There's no special collector's value attributed to it (over/above most other M37's in like condition), so use it as you wish, or alter it if you want, since the value wouldn't change very much no matter
Not true. If you follow the price of old Ithaca 37's, you will see that they are appreciating in value pretty quickly. Locally here, a beater 16 goes for almost 300.00. There is a not bad 16 for 550.00 local.

The older they are, and in good shape, the more they are appreciating in price. Add in that a new one goes for 800.00 plus, then the old ones start looking pretty attractive, especially for a gun that was largely hand fitted.

If he chops the barrel, or otherwise alters it, it quickly falls down into the realm of a parts gun, as it will no longer have any value to folks that collect Ithacas.

Losixxx

there are a couple forums especially dedicated to Ithaca owners/fanciers

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...d5040bd0bb5e93

http://www.ithacaowners.com/index.ph...0d9022a3554f80

you can join these and get some more information about your gun. there is lots of knowledgeable folks/collectors on these sites

Last edited by drcook; January 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:24 AM   #7
losixxx

Thanks for all the replies I have been on shotgunworld and only two responses one of which was the sandusky OH phone number and adress I have already contacted them for the information. Basicaly they moved from New York to Ohio in 2005 and they could basicaly only tell me that 1947 was correct on the date that when they had moved in 05. The other response was to ask if the serial numbers matched.

So I am glad to find some answers that acctualy make since thanks for the ithaca owners site I will try it soon. This was gifted to me by a very special woman we plan on getting married in the fall. She knew she had found something realy good and wanted me to have it.

It shoots like a dream. My oppinion it shoots better then most of the moderen shot guns. My lil lady is the best she put alot of thought and time in finding this for me I had no idea until she pulled up in her truck and ask me to look in the back. There it layed in the gun sock.So thanks for all the great information
Old January 22, 2013, 07:21 AM   #8
drcook

If you ever need work done on it, and other folks that have old Ithacas, the gentleman that owns/runs this

http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/

was the head gunsmith for Ithaca before it was bought out and moved to Ohio.

I just bought a 1949 and a 1952, both 16ga guns

Here are the pics of the 1949 solid rib with extra barrel and the 1952 with Simmons rib that I just got. The extra barrel is a Kings Ferry barrel that was threaded appropriately. Originally it was fitted to another gun. A gunsmith correctly fitted it to this one. I checked the headspace with depth mics. It came with 8 choke tubes. The set of 4 internal and 4 external tubes for steel shot.

As you can see, the 1952 had modifications done to it, and the buttstock cut. Having the Simmons rib installed on it, pulled down the collector value but that was offset a bit by the fact that to have the rib installed carries a price tag of 275.00. I am going to get a reproduction of a period correct recoil pad, the Ithaca sunburst, so that didn't bother me.

The old stocks have a different shape to the pistol grip/grip cap area than more recent guns, even my 1956 has a different shape.

The old guns are classics.

Last edited by drcook; January 22, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:23 AM   #9
drcook

Old January 24, 2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have my Father's Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge. He bought it new around 1951-52, I think. I've shot it a lot over the years.

The one thing I don't like about the Ithaca is the recoil because it is so light. A day of dove shooting will leave you battered, even with a slip on recoil pad.

When Dad's eyes started giving him problems and he was told not to shoot the Ithaca anymore (Dr. feared more detached retinas), I more or less took it over and got him an autoloader. Then Mom and Dad got me a Winchester 1200 (amazing how much heavier it is!) for Christmas, and I've not shot the Ithaca much since.

That said, I will never, ever get rid of it, and I'm always on the look out for a nice 16 or 20 gauge with the corncob forearm.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:07 AM   #11
drcook

Mike Irwin

I sent you a PM concerning Ith 37 16ga's. There are a bunch around in varying conditions and prices. All depends on your budget and if you really want one. They are going for 275.00 on the low end, needing reblued, maybe respringed and some wood repair. to 1250.00 for a NIB 1956 solid rib gun

I am trying to work out some more wherewithal as I would like to build a dedicated turkey gun on a 16ga Deerslayer that already has the reciever drilled and tapped. I just can't bring myself to deface an old original one that has not been drilled.

Some of the Deerslayers came from the factory drilled and tapped so that would be OK. We all have our oddities.

drc
Old January 26, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sorry!

I read it yesterday and forgot to reply.

I certainly appreciate the offer, but part of the fun of getting a new gun is "the hunt," and while I'd like to have one, I'm not THAT keen on getting one that I can't take my time and peruse gunshows.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.