The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
admanles

Value of Colt Pony

I have a Colt Pony that has been worked over by Scott McDougall & Associates with their Pocket Carry Package. I am about to take it to my local gun store to put in on consignment and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of it's value. It has less than 100 rounds through it and I have 4 magazines for it. I want to make sure I get a fair price. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0496.JPG (40.2 KB, 283 views)
Old December 22, 2010, 06:28 PM   #2
dreamweaver

the pony was a great idea, but the timing was wrong. it coexisted with the mustang and mustang pocketlite which were also ahead of their time. problem was, back then, very few people want a .380 pocket gun and even fewer wanted a DOA. remember, the lcp wouldn't be produced for 20 yrs!
anyway. the pony never caught on with collectors or the general public.
in original box with paperwork, they're being listed at around $600. actual selling prices are more in the $500 range. they are a tough sell now because of the lcp at around $330 and the sig p238 mustang knockoff at $550+
mcdougal was one of the big players in the carry package mods and did (does) excellent work. nowadays, that package would cost you $225+ and you'll wait 3 months to get the gun back.
problem is, you'll need to find the right buyer to come along to get your money out of this one in todays market.
$450 if someone is looking for a 380 carry gun. 50 bucks more if they know who mcdougal is.
what's the consignment % ?
probably better off selling it here.
jmho
Old December 22, 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I paid $600 for an all steel Pony several years ago and I thought that was a fair price at the time. Price hasn't changed much, so that's still a ballpark. The alloy-framed PocketLite versions usually go for $50 to $100 more than the all stainless versions.
Old December 22, 2010, 07:39 PM   #4
admanles

Thanks guys. Yeah, it is a great little gun, even better tricked out. I'll be losing another 25% in fees selling it on consignment.
Les
Old December 22, 2010, 07:42 PM   #5
admanles

Oh and how would I sell it here? I would still want/have to go through a dealer.
Thanks,
Les
Old December 26, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Winchester_73

You would just have your dealer ship to their dealer. Its 100% legal and easy. The buyer should pick up the shipping fees. At least, thats how I've done it.
Someone will probably want it.

I don't think its fair to compare the Pony to any ruger lol. The p238 is a SA, so thats not a direct competitor.
Old December 26, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
admanles

thanks Winchester, Ok, I'll try selling it here or one of the other online gun sites. I would imagine my dealer would also charge a fee to send to an FFL?

Les
Old December 26, 2010, 02:18 PM   #8
bofe954

I don't know where you are and maybe state law could vary...

I've always just made sure the gun is going to a legit FFL and shipped myself from a UPS hub. You have to ship overnight air and I'd insure it. It isn't cheap to ship that way, $50 or so depending on how big the box is. You have to make sure the receiving FFL will accept a gun from a private individual, and some don't. You also need to include a photocopy of your driver's license.

FFL's can ship using the post office. They can use a flat rate box and ship for $10 so it may be cheaper to pay them something to do it. I just have never found one that wanted to do it...

If the price were even I'd almost prefer just shipping myself. The overnight is spendy but it gets there without much time for it to disappear into a PO emplyee's hands. Buyer's also tend to appreciate getting the package one day after you get the money.
Old February 7, 2011, 02:42 AM   #9
ejhagan

If you have not sold your Colt Pony, please contact me at [email protected]

Tags
380 , colt pony