The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 20, 2011, 08:13 AM   #1
PapaBear168

Florida Gun Laws Question

Hello Folks,
I'm rather new to TFL and new to Florida as well. I am somewhat familiar with the process of getting my Conceal Carry Permit as I am going to do that soon. But as I was reading the laws online at http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/index.html
I did not see anything too glaringly obvious about the "printing" of a gun. I am from Ill-annoy originally where there are very strict laws concerning guns and have only vague knowledge of all of this. I am pretty sure I once read some time back that in some states (Michigan maybe?) it was unlawful to "print" a firearm. I see on the above site that in the Florida's Definitions section of 790.001 it says: "(2) “Concealed firearm” means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person."
That seems rather vague to me and it doesn't mention anywhere that I can find what fine or other consequences there may be if someone can see that I am carrying a gun.
As always...thanks in advance for your help,
Ed
Old November 20, 2011, 09:02 AM   #2
dieselbeef

the law saying that unintended or mistaking ly sighted or something like that is no longer a crime.

if someone sees it by acc they wont come git ya anymore..yer okay..
Old November 20, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Japle

“Printing” is a non-issue. No one’s looking for guns. No one will notice any bulges under your clothes. As long as the gun isn't actually visible, you're not going to have a problem.

Example: I carried a 4” M-29 .44 maggie in an OWB holster along with 2 speedloaders for a month just for fun. At 5’9” and 145 lbs, it was obvious as hell. It stuck out a mile. No one noticed a thing.

When I first started carrying a gun in 1988, I was paranoid about “printing” and always careful to be sure my gun was covered. When the wind blew my shirt or jacket open I was quick to get it closed again.

I’ve quit doing that. Now, when I’m walking through a parking lot and my shirt blows back, revealing my gun, I let it go. If people are close by, I’ll cover the gun, but normally it’s not worth the trouble. People are far too wrapped up in their own lives to spend their time examining you.
Old November 20, 2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Don H

The text of enrolled Florida Senate Bill 234 can be found here: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...4&Session=2011

Bill summary: Firearms: Provides that a person who is licensed to carry a concealed firearm is not in violation of law if the firearm is briefly and openly displayed under certain circumstances. Allows the Division of Licensing of the DOACS to take fingerprints from concealed carry license applicants. Provides that a person may not openly carry a weapon or firearm or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into specified locations. Provides that concealed carry licensees shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes, etc.
Old November 20, 2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Microgunner

The Tampa Police Dept. stopped me as I walked out a Home Depot exit because someone had noticed my carry piece in the store due to "printing" and called 911.
The very polite officer asked if I were carrying, I replied "yes", he asked where, I told him, he took the pistol from my belt, unloaded it and asked for my permit and DL which I provided.
After he was satisifed with my credentials he returned my now unloaded pistol, mag, loose round and IDs and sent me on my way with a "have a good afternoon".
This was about 15 years ago.
Old November 21, 2011, 11:32 AM   #6
PapaBear168

I guess coming from Illinois where they are so restrictive, Im just paranoid maybe. Im sure that at first when I get my permit and carry, I'll feel like everyone sees it. But as a few have said here on TFL....they won't. I tell ya being in a state where your 2nd Amendment rights are upheld is like being in Heaven. My friends in Illinois hate me now....LOL
Old November 21, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7
oneounceload

Dress correctly, (NO spandex please!), and no one will notice - the only folks looking for people who carry guns are others carrying theirs. Everyone is so wrapped in their own little world, they have NO idea what is happening around, let alone a few feet away

Welcome to the GunShine state
Old November 21, 2011, 12:04 PM   #8
PapaBear168

I just read that information that Don H posted above. Apparently if I am in my local department store and am in possession of my permit and my concealed gun happens to show for a second or two as I'm reaching up onto a high shelf at the store, I'm fine. Thanks guys for all your input. Like I said before, coming from Illinois has some thoughts so ingrained in my head of having a gun on my person as "wrong", it may take awhile before I unlearn that silliness.
Just a side note, it will be awhile before I am actively carrying. I moved down here to Florida to help my Mom with my ailing step Dad in July and as yet I'm not having that much luck finding employment. I had some savings that I've been living off of since I moved down here, but it might be a bit before I can get everything in order.
I was in the Marine Corps from 1975 to 1978 and I hear that I can use my DD214 in lieu of a class that is offered. The only problem is that my discharge wasn't the greatest. I did NOT receive a dishonorable discharge. I got a Undesireable. Im not proud of that. I was a dumb kid all of 19 years old and made some mistakes. Just wondering if that will hurt me. But I was thinking that the classes would be beneficial anyway. You can never be TOO educated about firearms.
So probably my best plan is the class, the gun and the permit in that order. I just won;t do anything dumb like carry until I get the permit.
Old November 21, 2011, 12:05 PM   #9
PapaBear168

To oneouncelead......spandex? Not a chance.....LOL
Old November 21, 2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Dress correctly, (NO spandex please!), and no one will notice - the only folks looking for people who carry guns are others carrying theirs. Everyone is so wrapped in their own little world, they have NO idea what is happening around, let alone a few feet away

Welcome to the GunShine state
This is absolutely true. I might even go so far as to say that even spandex wouldn't matter!

No one will notice and (virtually) no one who does will care.
Old November 21, 2011, 06:54 PM   #11
hermannr

Microgunner: What happened to you would make me very very unhappy...unhappy enough that officer friendly's boss would hear it loud and clear, and if that did not get results, they would both hear from my lawyer.

If you are legally carrying a pistol, there is no reason for them to stop you. If the officer stopped you and said, are you carrying, and you answered yes, and then he asked you if you had a permit and you answered yes....that should be the absolutse end of it, actually, if you are doing nothing illegal, (and it has been upheld in court, several times, carry in itself is not reasonable cause) even that should not happen.

Disarming you is dangerous to you and the general public, as well as the officer. As long as a weapon is in a proper holster it can hurt no-one. As soon as it is removed from it's protective cover, it can hurt anyone.
Old November 22, 2011, 09:29 AM   #12
MLeake

hermannr, not sure if you noticed that microgunner said his incident occurred fifteen years ago. The law that says inadvertent display is explicitly not criminal only passed this year. As the laws were (in some cases) being enforced in Florida fifteen years ago, the responding officer actually was behaving in a pro-carry manner.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:13 PM   #13
IZZY

Quote:
Microgunner: What happened to you would make me very very unhappy...unhappy enough that officer friendly's boss would hear it loud and clear, and if that did not get results, they would both hear from my lawyer.

If you are legally carrying a pistol, there is no reason for them to stop you. If the officer stopped you and said, are you carrying, and you answered yes, and then he asked you if you had a permit and you answered yes....that should be the absolutse end of it, actually, if you are doing nothing illegal, (and it has been upheld in court, several times, carry in itself is not reasonable cause) even that should not happen.

Disarming you is dangerous to you and the general public, as well as the officer. As long as a weapon is in a proper holster it can hurt no-one. As soon as it is removed from it's protective cover, it can hurt anyone.
I was recently stopped by a certain metro Orlando Police Dept. for having no tail lights, when the officer found out I was armed ( I told them when he asked) he wanted to "run the numbers to see if its stolen.." I have a CCW, he backed down when I kindly and politely refused as my permit is good ( that he called in about first!).

As for "printing" I try not to do it, old habits die hard. It's not against the law in FL, just poor manners. Wear a hawaiian shirt, get your suit tailored loose, and a good quality Inside the Waist Band ( IWB) holster from "the holster store (dot) com" and you're in business.