The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Most Valuable(important) Component
Primer 3 10.71%
Powder 9 32.14%
Bullet 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25, 2010, 07:13 AM   #1
Bella

MVC

Most Valuable Component

Primers, powder, and bullets are replaced during reloading. All three parts are important. Which one do you think is more important in trying to find an accurate load?
Old September 25, 2010, 08:33 AM   #2
TXGunNut

Powder type and weight is something I spend a fair amount of time experimenting with but only because in most cases I have already decided upon the bullet (or bullets) and primer. I can't pick one as being more important than another. I also feel cases, both choice and prep, are very important as well. A fair bit of my handloading involves new cases so it's a valid addition to the question, IMHO.
Best answer I can give is that in handloading there are no unimportant aspects, it's a hobby where attention to detail gives us the best results.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

I usually pick a specific bullet I want to load develop for, so my variable is the powder type and weight. Primer is "whatever I got".
Old September 25, 2010, 08:44 AM   #4
longranger

I can cast and paper patch most bullets for most of my guns.Most of my guns can be adapted to shoot B/P.I can make B/P if the need arises.I can't make primers.
Old September 25, 2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Ozzieman

For me it’s not one but two of your selections.
Bullet and powder.
If the bullet does not match the twist rate of the gun then no powder is going to improve it that much. On the other hand you choose too fast or too slow burning rate powder you have problems associated with that.
To me reloading for accuracy is more of an art than science and no load will work in all guns even for guns of the same type and manufacture.
I’m with TXGunNut, I select a bullet that I want to try and do as much research on the round that I am trying to develop. Looking for loads suggested by others and results. Then start at a lower pressure and work up until I get the performance I am looking for be it power or accuracy or a combination of both.
And that’s true for all types of guns I load for.
Old September 25, 2010, 09:16 AM   #6
TXGunNut

Cast and paper patch? You're my hero, longranger!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 25, 2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Jim243

Most Valuable, now thats an interesting question. Price wise I would have to say the bullet as far as cost. To get up to speed one would have to pick the powder. And to start the whole process you would have to go with primmer.

So I guess the answer would be NONE OF THEM are THE most valuable. They are all equally valuable when put in the right combination. Now the person who can do it right THAT'S THE MOST VALUABLE COMPONENT of the whole process.

Just MHO
Jim
Old September 25, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8
jbrown13

I'm cheap, so I look for a bullet that is priced right for my type of shooting. I'm strictly a paper puncher for self enjoyment and shoot 300 9mm pistol rounds a week, at least 50 weeks a year (indoor pistol range). So with that volume I look for a jacketed bullet (shooting a Glock with factory barrel) in the $.08 per range. I chose the Montana Gold 124 grain JHP in case lots. Because I want the best accuracy with that bullet, the powder then becomes the most important component to me, and I'm willing to pay the fraction of a cent more for a more accurate powder with the cheap bullet. To me the powder is the most important component in developing the most accurate load.
Old September 25, 2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I think any of those could be most significant if you have the wrong one.

A bullet that's poorly made and unstable, doesn't match the rifling in your barrel or is too large or small in diameter would ruin otherwise "perfect" ammo.

A primer that doesn't work right, isn't hot enough or doesn't fit the case correctly could ruin otherwise "perfect" ammo.

The powder has a long list of reasons why it could screw things up.

Other the other hand, if all of them are basically "OK", then I don't think any of them is singularly most important.

Actually, all of those things rank down the list in accuracy factors, says I.

1)Shooter
2)Gun
3)Procedure
4)Brass

After these.... bullet, primer, powder.... in no particular order.
Old September 25, 2010, 10:54 AM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I am in the camp of bullet, then powder camp. For rifle I only load for one caliber at the moment. Bullet is my first consideration. For my .221 Rem Fireball so far I have used 55 grain bullets exclusively. I have found 2 powders that perform better than the others. For primers I just use standard SR primers of whatever I can find on the shelf.
I will be doing more load development with 40 grain bullets to see how they do this weekend. (Look at the time, range is gonna open in a few so I am outta here.)
Old September 25, 2010, 09:36 PM   #11
rogn

This question is easy- you cannot acheive accuracy with a bad bullet. You can work back and forth with powder and primers and eventually ork up a reasonable load. But a poor bullet= poor accuracy!
Old September 27, 2010, 07:18 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

and there you go

IME the bullet matters most when seeking 'accuracy'.
Old September 27, 2010, 07:31 AM   #13
wncchester

"Which one do you think is more important in trying to find an accurate load? "

That's sorta like asking which link in chain is most important.
Old September 27, 2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Jimmy10mm

I cannot vote on this one since leaving any of the components out of the mix leaves you with an expensive club.