The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 16, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Maleman

Magazine release question

I put in a new trigger and did a few other little things to a Colt 1911. Put it back together and all is very good. That is until I started to put in a magazine and it wouldn't go in. If I depress the release button it slides in fine. Locks in fine and drops out fine. So why do I now have to depress the button to get a magazine in? I put in a new Magazine release and it is the same thing. Hey it only goes in one way. Looks like it fits the way it should and there are only three parts to it. I can't quite figure out what is going on. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
TXGunNut

Just a guess but look for burrs or bends on the bow of your new trigger, also foreign material between bow and frame, also around mag release. What were the "other little things'?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 16, 2010, 11:04 PM   #3
drail

You have just learned that almost every part of a 1911 has to be "fitted" to the gun. Your new mag catch is a little long (which is better than a little short). If you look up into the mag well and see the catch's lug protruding into the opening do you see a staright shank inside the magwell which then tapers to an angle? If you do then you will need to file the tip of the release until only the angled surface protrudes into the magwell. Maintain exactly the same angle as it originally had so that when the mag slides up against the catch it strikes an angle and pushes it aside rather than hitting a straight shank head on. If you don't want to get into all of this then you can either return the catch or pay a 1911 smith to fit it to your frame. The joys of part swapping. A few will "drop in" but most will need some tweaking.
Old October 17, 2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Maleman

Ah, Drail you are so right. I did figure it out and all appears to be working well. The mag goes in, locks in place and drops free when it should. I probably took off more material than I needed to,don't know,but it works! Thanks for the advice you guys. I fitted the old one so if I screwed it up completely I'd have the new one for a smith to deal with.
Old October 17, 2010, 11:48 AM   #5
TXGunNut

Good points, drail. "Drop-in" parts work amazingly well but in my limited experience at least half need tweaking, polishing or minor fitting. Good job, Maleman.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.