The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

CH reloading dies... how are they ???

I'm working on a project with one of my buddys, ( we were going to do matching 17 Hornet Contender barrels )... but it turns out I already had a 10" barrel in my collection I had bought years back, stuck it in the collection, & never worried about it...

so anyway, his is 17 Akley Hornet, turns out mine is 17 K Hornet... he had built his own dies, & barrel after building a chamber reamer ( tool & die guys are just too cool ) so, we fire formed one of his Akleys in my chamber, & the K has a sharper shoulder, pushed forward, with a shorter neck, in effect the case holds a tad bit more powder

I still don't know what to think of "wildcatters"... kinda hope the bug doesn't bite me

so... I was looking for dies for this 17 K Hornet, & one of his buddys hooked him up with a link to CH 4D Dies...

I'm not a huge reloader, but have heard of 3-4 of the major players, but never heard of CH... what are your guys thoughts ??? any dealings ??? the price of the die sets for the 17 K Hornet are almost 1/2 of a custom die from RCBS, & they have dies available in lots of chamberings I've never even heard of... according to thier web site... 1912 different die sets

http://www.ch4d.com/
Old July 31, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Stumper

I have a set of C&H dies-they have been around a long time and make a quality product.........and the area where they make the most sense is wildcat and obsolete calibers. For common chamberings Lee will be way cheaper and arguably , Redding, Hornady, Lyman and RCBS are cheaper and "better".

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old July 31, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3
LHB1

When I bought my first bench reloading press and dies back in summer of 1964, my choice was C-H. They were first rate products, equal to RCBS or any other top line dies, press, etc. For whatever reasons, they are not as popular or common these days but I have no reason to expect the quality has declined.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Jim Watson

C-H has been around for a long time, although under new ownership by the 4D folks for the past good number of years.

I have an old C-H AutoCHamp progressive with their dies that does a good job on .38 Specials. I see no reason not to buy 17 K-Hornet dies from them.
Old July 31, 2008, 09:28 PM   #5
crowbeaner

I have a set of old C-H dies in 300 Win Mag, and they are the only 300 dies I use. No fuss setting them up, and no problems with excessive headspace in the loaded ammo. I'll probably never have to buy another set. I paid $10 for them years ago, and I thought that was quite fair back then. I'd like the link to the new company if you have it. Thanks.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:34 PM   #6
LHB1

http://www.ch4d.com/
Old August 1, 2008, 06:44 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

link was in my 1st post...
Old August 1, 2008, 07:07 AM   #8
wncchester

"...C-H. They were first rate products,... For whatever reasons, they are not as popular or common these days."

Ol' Charles died. His family didn't want to sell the company but they had no one to run it so, eventually they sold. Took a long time before the 4D folks came along and by then CH was largely forgotten. They still make excellant products.

I would buy them in a minute rather than the vastly over priced RCBS stuff.
Old August 1, 2008, 12:52 PM   #9
crowbeaner

OOPS, my bad. I go to the first unread thread and didn't see the link. I put it in my favorites; thanks! CB.
Old August 3, 2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Stargazer

I bought a crimp die from them to crimp 39mm AK cases to make rifle grenade launching rounds. They told me the only commercial vendor of these rounds used their dies too. Quality is excellent and it has lasted through crimping (200) + steel cases with no signs of any problems. Great service too!

M70 Web Page